Hypothyroidism During Pregnancy - Symptoms

What hypothyroidism symptoms did you experience during your pregnancy?

What happens with thyroid disease?

Disease of the thyroid gland is extremely common. In some conditions, the thyroid may produce too much hormone. In other conditions, the thyroid may be damaged or destroyed and little, if any, thyroid hormone is produced. The main thyroid hormone is called thyroxine, or T4.

Symptoms vary depending on whether there is too much or too little T4 present in the blood. With an excess of T4 (hyperthyroidism), patients complain of feeling restless, emotionally hyper, and hot and sweaty. They may have tremors, trouble concentrating, and weight loss. Frequent bowel movements and diarrhea are common.

If T4 levels are low (hypothyroidism) as a result of decreased production by the thyroid gland, patients often experience  fatigue, lethargy, and weight gain. Constipation is common and many patients report feeling excessively cold.

Return to Hypothyroidism During Pregnancy

Comment from: texasmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I am 20 weeks pregnant and have just been told my thyroid is underactive. I have been experiencing significant weight gain without changing my regular diet, shortness of breath, fatigue and low mood (depression is really strong). I just read here about how this condition can lower my child's IQ, so now I am upset and worried because I don't get the medication until I have seen the specialist and that is not until week 22. I hope the damage has not been done already.

Comment from: Gweedette, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I am currently 17 weeks pregnant with my second child. I found out that I was pregnant at about 4 weeks. At about 8 weeks, I felt extremely weak and tired. So much so that I thought to myself this can't just be related to the pregnancy. I called my doctor which was just a few days after an office visit where they ordered blood work. I told her how I was feeling and asked her if anything showed up in the blood work and that is when she told me that I have hypothyroidism. I picked up a prescription for Levothyroxine that day. I felt better in about one week and felt normal at about 6 weeks after starting the medication. They test me monthly. So far they have not had to change the prescription. I had always suspected that something was off with my thyroid. I had gained about 40 pounds about 1 year after I had my daughter. When I tried to loose it I would loose 15 pounds and plateau. I always felt tired and never rested no matter how much I slept. I have had my thyroid tested several times after the birth of my first child and they always said the results were within the normal range. The doctors are unsure if I was borderline or if the pregnancy brought it on. There is a possibility that I will have to stay on medication for the rest of my life, and it is also possible that I may not need them after the pregnancy.