Sarcoidosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sarcoidosis.

Please select the white circle:

What is sarcoidosis?

Sarcoidosis is a disease that results from a specific type of inflammation of tissues of the body. It can appear in almost any body organ, but it starts most often in the lungs or lymph nodes.

The cause of sarcoidosis is unknown. The disease can appear suddenly and disappear. Or it can develop gradually and go on to produce symptoms that come and go, sometimes for a lifetime.

As sarcoidosis progresses, microscopic lumps of a specific form of inflammation, called granulomas, appear in the affected tissues. In the majority of cases, these granulomas clear up, either with or without treatment. In the few cases where the granulomas do not heal and disappear, the tissues tend to remain inflamed and become scarred (fibrotic).

Sarcoidosis was first identified over 100 years ago by two dermatologists working independently, Dr. Jonathan Hutchinson in England and Dr. Caesar Boeck in Norway. Sarcoidosis was originally called Hutchinson's disease or Boeck's disease. Dr. Boeck went on to fashion today's name for the disease from the Greek words "sark" and "oid," meaning flesh-like. The term describes the skin eruptions that are frequently caused by the illness.

Return to Sarcoidosis

Comment from: DonnaMRN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was first introduced to sarcoidosis when my brother was diagnosed in his early 20s. All that was said at that time is that it wasn"t cancer and not life threatening. My brother is now 59 and he manages his sarcoidosis well. In 2000 I was working as an emergency room (ER) nurse and had a horrible bout of severe joint pain, shortness of breath, erythema nodosum (EN) over my lower legs, and fevers. I was taken to the ER and initially diagnosed with lymphoma. Then a pulmonologist thought it could be sarcoidosis, I had a mediastinoscopy to remove a nodule between my lungs and it was positive for sarcoidosis. Since that time I have been treated with IV steroids, methotrexate, antidepressants, Plaquenil, oral steroids and most recently Remicade for the all over joint pain. At this point I am resolved that this disease has no clear cut answer. I try to live my life as fully as I can but, am limited by the beast called sarcoidosis. To my fellow sufferers, do not retreat. If your current doctor is not helping, seek another until you get some relief.

Comment from: mycousinissick, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 12

My cousin is barely 40, with 2 young kids, 8 and 4. She can"t remember the last time she felt well. She is fatigued, exhausted all the time, but is the one cousin always having people over, going to parks, outing, taking her kids to the park, all for the sake of living despite her illness. She has inflamed lymph nodes, it"s now affecting her sight and memory, and she thinks it"s getting worse. The doctor is avoiding steroids due to the harsh side effects. She"s afraid to read any more about how horrid this sarcoidosis is, because there doesn"t seem to be any good news. I think she could use a support group. She would like another opinion. Hoping for everyone's healing.