Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Treatments

What were the effective treatments for your Ramsay hunt syndrome?

Please select the black square:

How is Ramsay Hunt syndrome treated or prevented?

Treatment consists of antiviral agents (for example, acyclovir, valacyclovir or famciclovir) for about one week, steroids (prednisone), and pain medications. Best results are reported when treatment protocols are started within about three days after symptoms appear. Early treatment usually results in a better prognosis (see below). For children, the varicella vaccine can reduce the chance of getting chickenpox from which the syndrome comes (reactivation of the virus). However, once a person gets chickenpox, the person is susceptible to reactivation of the virus and thus can develop shingles and/or Ramsay Hunt syndrome. Fortunately, there is another vaccine, Zostavax, which is helpful in preventing viral reactivation. Consequently, shingles and Ramsay Hunt syndrome can be either prevented or their symptoms reduced if the vaccine is administered. Usually, this vaccine is given to individuals that have had chickenpox as children and are now age 60 or older. The CDC (U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) suggests the vaccine be routinely given to individuals aged 60 or older, as about 90% of the population has been exposed to chickenpox and about 20% of people that had chickenpox are likely to get shingles without the vaccine.

Return to Ramsay Hunt Syndrome

Comment from: Bellakristy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My practitioner told me to get coconut oil and oregano oil (2 tablespoons of coconut oil to a drop of oregano oil), mix together, and with a cotton ball rub on affected area and bottoms of feet. I put the oils on my feet every hour and every few minutes on my left cheek. The oregano supposedly attacks the Ramsay Hunt virus. I also went to an acupuncturist (a master; there are different levels). She is awesome. It helped me a lot with the vertigo (shakes in my head).

Comment from: Nayudu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I had fever for two days followed by ear ache. I reported to the doctor with a reeling sensation. Initially diagnosed as infection in the right ear, but within 24 hours blisters appeared on my right ear and suffered facial palsy on the right side of my face. My right lid did not fully close and I experienced droop in the mouth. Doctor immediately diagnosed as Ramsay Hunt syndrome 2 and started prednisolone (60 mg) and acyclovir 800 mg, both for 7 days. Recovery was fast but the side effect is still there after 4 months. I am feeling much better now.