Ingrown Toenail - Treatments

What home remedy treatments were effective for your ingrown toenail?

Please select the white circle:

How do people treat an ingrown toenail at home?

The following home-care treatments may provide temporary relief.

• Lukewarm water foot soaks for 15 to 20 minutes with any one of the following options can be helpful: one part white vinegar to four parts water; 2 tablespoons Epsom salts per quart of water; or a dilute Clorox type bleach with 1/3 teaspoon of Clorox in 1 gallon of water.
  • Elevate the foot and leg.
  • Take oral anti-inflammatory drugs.
  • Trim the toenail straight across the top without digging into the corners or leaving them too short.
  • Carefully rolling back be overgrown skin at the affected nail border may allow one to slip a small piece of cotton or dental floss to lift the offending edge of the nail up from the skin.

If symptoms persist, medical treatment from a podiatrist is recommended.

Return to Ingrown Toenail

Comment from: duchessherri, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

First I poked a small bit of sterile cotton under the nail's inside corner edge where it hurt. I changed the cotton frequently as I let my nail grow out much longer than usual. I then cut the nail straight across. I keep telling the pedicurist not to cut the toenail into a curve but she must still cut down into that corner. I have this problem maybe twice a year.

Comment from: LaurenSmith1095, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I was 17 years old when I went to a doctor who specializes in feet. He gave me four shots in my toe to numb it, then he cut a strip of the toenail on both sides. After a few hours when I came home, I was in so much pain and it was bleeding because the numbing wore off. Then after a few weeks, it began to heal and I felt less pain than before. I am now 18 years of age and my toe is perfectly fine, but it just looks odd without the sides.

Stay Informed!