Cervical Cancer - Risk Factors

Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the risk factors for cervical cancer?

As described previously, cervical cancers are caused by infection with one of the high-risk HPV types. However, since not all people who are infected with HPV will develop cancer, it is likely that other factors also play a role in the development of cervical cancer. Certain risk factors have been identified that increase a woman's risk for developing cervical cancer:

• Tobacco smoking
  • HIV infection
  • Immune system suppression
  • Past or current Chlamydia infection
  • Overweight
  • Long-term use of oral contraceptives (although the risk returns to normal when the contraceptive pills are discontinued)
  • Having 3 or more full-term pregnancies
  • Having a first full-term pregnancy before age 17
  • Poverty
  • Family history of cervical cancer
Return to Cervical Cancer

Comment from: jmon42709, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I tested positive 3 years ago for the HPV virus. I have had only one abnormal pap smear in the past. I have had 2 husbands in 37 years. Which means that I have had 2 sex partners during that time. I am scared. I am also a survivor of bladder cancer with 4 surgeries for that cancer. I have been free for 3 and 1/2 years. I do not know which husband was the carrier. I am not mad at him for the symptoms are silent in men. I made the mistake of not having a new pap smear in 3 years. I lost my job and insurance so I could not afford it. I am scared. I want to learn more and pass the information to others who do not understand. That is the key/education. We must educate all ages. As I talk to people, at least 75% do not know what it is. That is scary. My grand daughter is going to be vaccinated. She just turned 15 years old. This is real!

Comment from: g, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I am 26 have 2 children 5 years and 2 years old. When pregnant with my 1st child I had a very bad bleed during sex and was told by my doctor to have a smear test after I had the baby. Everything was ok, I never bled again so I never got the smear test done. In the last few months I have started bleeding during sex and sometimes between periods. For 3 weeks I've had a very bad pain in my lower back that pain killers will not take away. I went for a smear test yesterday and bled a lot. My dad has head and neck cancer, at the moment I am really scared, everything online says cancer.