Osteomyelitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?

What are osteomyelitis symptoms and signs?

Symptoms of osteomyelitis can vary greatly. In children, osteomyelitis most often occurs more quickly. They develop pain or tenderness over the affected bone, and they may have difficulty or inability to use the affected limb or to bear weight or walk due to severe pain. They may also have fever, chills, and redness at the site of infection.

In adults, the symptoms often develop more gradually and include fever, chills, irritability, swelling or redness over the affected bone, stiffness, and nausea. In people with diabetes, peripheral neuropathy, or peripheral vascular disease, there may be no pain or fever. The only symptom may be an area of skin breakdown that is worsening or not healing.

Acute osteomyelitis occurs with a rapid onset and is usually accompanied by the symptoms of pain, fever, and stiffness. It generally occurs after a break in the skin from injury, trauma, surgery, or skin ulceration from wounds.

Chronic osteomyelitis is insidious (slow) in onset. It may be the result of a previous infection of osteomyelitis. Despite multiple courses of antibiotics, it may reoccur. Symptoms of chronic osteomyelitis are subtle but may include fever, pain, redness, or discharge at the site of infection.

Return to Osteomyelitis

Comment from: Ash, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 15

I was diagnosed at 10 years of age with osteomyelitis in my right ankle. After 2 weeks of going backwards and forwards to the doctors with a temperature, vomiting and a sickeningly painful ankle and constantly being told it was inflammation from a virus and to take aspirin, a different doctor had an idea what it might be. I was sent for a blood test immediately and had an emergency operation the same day to remove the infected bone marrow. I spent 2 weeks in isolation, 3 weeks in children's ward and a further 8 months on crutches. I am 41 now and have had no problems since.

Comment from: Steph, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis when I was 9 years old. I first noticed that one side of my collar bone was very swollen and tender to touch. After going to the doctors and then to the hospital (who all at first had thought I had broken it) I was finally referred to a specialist. I had antibiotics, which did not touch it. I also had a biopsy, and then surgery to remove a window of bone and scrape some of the crystalized infection away. It is now 6 years after this operation and I still get excruciating pain every so often for a few weeks (this is normally when the weather changes dramatically in temperature).