Autism and Communication - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your child's autism initially?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms and signs of autism in children and adults?

The current Diagnosis and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-Fourth Edition, Treatment Revision (DSM-IV-TR) identifies three features that are associated with autism:

• impairment in social interaction,
  • communication, and
  • behavior.
Return to Autism Spectrum Disorder (In Children and Adults)

Comment from: usufire9, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 24

My son was first seen by a doctor at the age of 6 months about his rocking. I was told that it is just a baby thing, and he will grow out of it. Well, so much for doctors keeping up with things. All I have found out is either by parents with children with Asperger's syndrome or autism. Most of the school system in the US still think that autism is something you can get by sitting on a toilet seat. School nurses are a joke, all they can do is get you an IEP (individualized education program) number and not say good luck. By the time we realized what the truth was my son was starting his teenage years and any parent out there will tell you that's a system in itself.

Comment from: Kingo, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 24

Soon after birth, I began noticing how hard it was to get her attention. By the time she was 1 year old, she seemed to ignore everyone. I had her seen by a psychologist then.