Bone Spurs - Treatments

Where were your bone spurs located and what was the treatment?

What is the treatment for bone spurs?

Bone spurs are treated only if they are causing symptoms. Initial treatment is directed toward decreasing inflammation and avoiding reinjury when possible. Local cold application can help when the location of the bone spur is accessible. Anti-inflammatory medications, administered both orally and by local injection (Kenalog, Depomedrol, Celestone), are commonly used, depending on the location of the spur. Local mechanical measures, such as orthotics, or shoe inserts, and local bone spur pads might be considered, depending on the location of the bone spur. Bone spurs that are causing irritation of nerves, tendons or ligaments and that are resistant to conservative measures can require surgical operations for treatment.

Return to Bone Spurs

Comment from: Keon E, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I have bone spurs in my hip. I was playing basketball and stepped on someone's foot who was moving in an opposite direction. Now it hurts when I try to run or even meditate. The doctor will be referring me to a hip specialist. I'm too young for hip surgery, in my opinion. I hope therapy can help. Medicine sure has not so far.

Comment from: Mrst479, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I just had three bone spurs removed from my left foot. One was on top of my foot where the instep is, another was along the inside of the foot where the medial column is and the third is up above my heel. All three were cut off. I am post operation, four days today, 4-26-2015. I was told to be non-weight bearing for three weeks. I have a post-operative follow up tomorrow to replace the first cast with a fiberglass one. I will try to update y'all to let you know if it worked and was worth it. I would try anything to be rid of this pain and the boot/cast I had to wear for the last two years.