Bone Spurs - Treatments

Where were your bone spurs located and what was the treatment?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for bone spurs?

Bone spurs are treated only if they are causing symptoms. Initial treatment is directed toward decreasing inflammation and avoiding reinjury when possible. Local cold application can help when the location of the bone spur is accessible. Anti-inflammatory medications, administered both orally and by local injection (Kenalog, Depomedrol, Celestone), are commonly used, depending on the location of the spur. Local mechanical measures, such as orthotics, or shoe inserts, and local bone spur pads might be considered, depending on the location of the bone spur. Bone spurs that are causing irritation of nerves, tendons or ligaments and that are resistant to conservative measures can require surgical operations for treatment.

Return to Bone Spurs

Comment from: Max C., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had plantar fasciitis in one foot which led to bone spurs forming on my heel under the Achilles tendon. Needless to say it really hurt to walk for about 3 years. Finally I had surgery. They had to detach the tendon from the bone, take the spur off and reattach the tendon. I dreaded it but it turned out to be the best thing I ever did. It"s been two years now and it feels great. The worst part was the almost three months without putting weight on my foot. I'm a happy camper now. I just had (3 days ago) a spur taken out of my shoulder, minor rotator tear fixed. The spur had inflamed the bicep tendon and made it about three times the size it should have been, due to inflammation. I'm already off pain medications and looking forward to rehabilitation and getting back to the gym. Don't put it off!

Comment from: Lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was due to have an operation to remove my spur on my heel on the 14th February but being told I"d have to take 3 months off work was too much. I am in agony with it. I have a new date in September. I am really worried. I have read some disaster stories on other sites! I have to have the operation under local anesthetic which petrifies me but was told I could not be put to sleep as I would need to be on my stomach for the operation!