Myocarditis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of myocarditis?

Please select the black square:

What are symptoms of myocarditis?

Myocarditis can be mild and cause virtually no noticeable symptoms. The most frequent symptom of myocarditis is pain in the chest. Other symptoms are related to the underlying triggering cause, like infection or an autoimmune disorder. The following is a list of symptoms and signs of myocarditis:

• Chest pain or chest discomfort
  • Shortness of breath
  • Swelling and/or edema
  • Liver congestion
  • Abnormal heartbeat (palpitations)
  • Sudden death (in young adults)
  • Fever (usually associated with an infectious process)

Myocarditis in children and infants has more nonspecific symptoms:

• Malaise
  • Diarrhea
  • Joint pains
Return to Myocarditis

Comment from: kristine254, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I felt a pop in my calf. I went to the doctor and was told that I ruptured my gastrocnemius tendon in my right calf. They said apply ice or heat whichever feels better, take Tylenol and that it will just take time to heal, 2-3 week usually.

Comment from: zanele, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 29

My ten month old daughter had flu all winter then just for a couple of days she experienced shortness of breath, vomiting, loss of appetite, and was screaming nonstop. That's when I stopped going to the clinic and went to a big hospital where she was diagnosed with myocarditis and spent two weeks in the ward and a week in ICU. Now she is taking medicines to prevent the heart from getting tired and keep pumping and she seems okay.