Myocarditis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of myocarditis?

What are symptoms of myocarditis?

Myocarditis can be mild and cause virtually no noticeable symptoms. The most frequent symptom of myocarditis is pain in the chest. When myocarditis is more serious, it leads to weakening of the heart muscle. Myocarditis can then cause heart failure (with symptoms of shortness of breath, fatigue, fluid accumulation in the lungs, etc.) as well as heart rhythm irregularities from inflammation and/or scarring of the electrical system of the heart.

Return to Myocarditis

Comment from: Cgarz10, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I was 19 years old, all of a sudden I woke up one night with chest pressure and I couldn"t take deep breaths. I went to the hospital and they told me I had indigestion. They sent me home and I went back 3 times before they finally found enzymes in my blood. I spent the week in the hospital diagnosed with myocarditis. Fortunately I made a full recovery until a year and a half later, I noticed the same symptoms. Again I went to the hospital and got sent home 3 times until they found enzymes again. I had myocarditis again. They never found out what caused it. The last time it affected my heart rate (it wouldn"t increase with exercise) so I had a pacemaker in. That was a year ago. Now I"ve been working out again, getting back into shape, and I noticed chest pressure after a workout 2 weeks ago. So I"ve been resting. That"s when I started getting really stressed, depressed, and getting anxiety attacks. My doctor says I have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), I live in constant fear that I"m going to have a heart problem again. But 2 nights ago I woke up from a terrible sharp chest pain, one of the worst I"ve ever had. I was petrified. I took Xanax .25mg to calm down and I was eventually able to fall back asleep. The whole next day my chest was in pain, so I went to the hospital and they found nothing. It doesn"t feel like the same pain as myocarditis. I don't know what it could be, maybe I hurt some muscle. It is possibly stress but unlikely.

Comment from: kristine254, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I felt a pop in my calf. I went to the doctor and was told that I ruptured my gastrocnemius tendon in my right calf. They said apply ice or heat whichever feels better, take Tylenol and that it will just take time to heal, 2-3 week usually.