Paget's Disease of The Nipple - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of Paget's disease of the nipple?

What are the symptoms of Paget disease of the breast?

The symptoms of Paget disease of the breast are often mistaken for those of some benign skin conditions, such as dermatitis or eczema. These symptoms may include the following:

• Itching, tingling, or redness in the nipple and/or areola
  • Flaking, crusty, or thickened skin on or around the nipple
  • A flattened nipple
  • Discharge from the nipple that may be yellowish or bloody

Because the early symptoms of Paget disease of the breast may suggest a benign skin condition, and because the disease is rare, it may be misdiagnosed at first. People with Paget disease of the breast have often had symptoms for several months before being correctly diagnosed.

Return to Paget Disease of the Breast

Comment from: lilly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I'm only 19 and I'm really scared because after googling Paget's disease I'm seeing a correlation with the symptoms that seem to be appearing. Both my nipples itch and burn especially late at night and I have a breast lump.

Comment from: 45 year old female, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

About a year ago, I mentioned to my doctor that I was having some sensitivity on my nipple and a small sore spot. It seemed to get better on it's own with Neosporin so I didn't think much more of it until a few months ago I noticed a few drops of blood on my nightgown. This then rapidly progressed to severe itching & burning. The surgeon I was referred to initially treated it as a possible fungal infection and then did a biopsy. I have DCIS and am facing a mastectomy in the next few weeks. My mammograms have always been normal (but I have dense breasts which apparently can make this difficult to diagnose initially).