Separation Anxiety - Cause

What was the cause of your separation anxiety?

Please select the black square:

What are causes and risk factors for separation anxiety disorder?

Separation anxiety disorder (as with most mental-health conditions) is likely caused by the combination of genetic and environmental vulnerabilities rather than by any one thing.

In addition to being more common in children with family histories of anxiety, children whose mothers were stressed during pregnancy with them tend to be more at risk for developing this disorder.

A majority of children with separation anxiety disorder have school refusal as a symptom and up to 80% of children who refuse school qualify for the diagnosis of separation anxiety disorder. Approximately 50%-75% of children who suffer from this disorder come from homes of low socioeconomic status.

Return to Separation Anxiety

Comment from: Roja62, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

My Hungarian parents were in a Refugee Camp when they met and had me. I was a "7th month" baby and was sickly as a result. When the War was over my father decided that we should move to Venezuela, and we traveled in a Ship. On the way I became even sicklier, and because there was no room in the Pediatric Section, I was placed in the T.B.Section where I contracted T.B. When we arrived in Venezuela my mother found out she was pregnant with the eldest of my 5 brothers so I was isolated with my paternal grandmother, and could not go near my mother for 2 years, as she became pregnant again.