Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

What are the symptoms and signs of cirrhosis?

Patients with cirrhosis may have few or no symptoms and signs of liver disease. Some of the symptoms may be nonspecific, that is, they don't suggest that the liver is their cause. Some of the more common symptoms and signs of cirrhosis include:

• Yellowing of the skin (jaundice) due to the accumulation of bilirubin in the blood
  • Fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Itching
  • Easy bruising from decreased production of blood clotting factors by the diseased liver.

Patients with cirrhosis also develop symptoms and signs from the complications of cirrhosis that are discussed next.

Return to Cirrhosis (Liver)

Comment from: JeannieD, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 25

My husband, 68 years old, was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver due to 46 years of heavy drinking. He stopped drinking after seeing the third doctor, but his legs are so swollen, even though he takes a diuretic every day. He has to use a cane now to walk. He has no appetite and his upper body mass is just wasting away. They drained his abdomen a few weeks ago and took out 2.5 liters of fluid. I am sure this will have to done on a regular basis. I wonder if the swelling in his legs will ever go down. I know there are different stages of this disease, but I have no idea at what stage my husband is.

Comment from: kayrakaye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My symptoms of cirrhosis were extreme tenderness in the area of the liver, loss of appetite, extreme fatigue and severe bruising. This went on for several weeks before I sought medical attention. At hospital admission my INR (international normalized ratio) was at 9, a very dangerously high level. Typically I am at 2 to 2.5 (on warfarin). Initially I was treated with cortisone for a time and took immune suppressant medications. I did switch to CellCept after a very bad reaction to the first drug. Ten years later my liver scan shows little scarring and I am off the immune suppressant drug. My diagnosis is autoimmune hepatitis (AIH).