Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your thoracic outlet syndrome?

Please select the black triangle:

What are symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome?

Symptoms include neck, shoulder, and arm pain, numbness, or impaired circulation to the extremities (causing discoloration). Often symptoms are reproduced when the arm is positioned above the shoulder or extended. Patients can have a wide spectrum of symptoms from mild and intermittent, to severe and constant. Pains can extend to the fingers and hands, causing weakness.

Return to Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Comment from: Iris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

In 2004 I was diagnosed with bad thoracic outlet syndrome. I then had my first operation. The place on the neck where I was opened up, since then has always been extremely tender to the touch. Unfortunately, my symptoms just became worse and in 2012 and I went for a second operation where a lot of scar tissue was also removed. Now in 2014, I am still in so much pain and just want to cry. My neck and shoulder are so painful, causing my left shoulder to be a permanent tense ball; feel like putting a knife right through. I"m really desperate now! I am desperate to try anything now that does not include surgery.

Comment from: Misseddx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome correctly by my physiotherapist (PT). She has 30 years of experience and is highly skilled. My symptoms included having pain, weakness numbness when lifting my arms above my head, to the point of where I could not wash my hair in the shower, I had dizziness, pain, etc. I think it also caused cardiac symptoms (negative for heart attack). After 8 weeks, it did start to return so I think stretches would be advised by the PT.