(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is the outlook for those with an elevated C-reactive protein (CRP)?

The overall outlook for those with an elevated CRP largely depends on the cause. In general, the level may be elevated as a response to any inflammation or infection present in the body. The outlook will depend on the success of treatment directed at the underlying cause of the inflammation.

More specifically, as a risk assessment tool for cardiovascular disease, the elevation of CRP correlates with the presence of the traditional cardiac risk factors including, hypertension (high blood pressure), high cholesterol, diabetes mellitus, obesity, advanced age, cigarette smoking, and strong family history of cardiac disease. Diet, exercise, smoking cessation, and appropriate medical management of these risk factors in hopes of preventing future cardiovascular disease cannot be overemphasized.

Return to C-Reactive Protein (CRP Test)

Comment from: blackmarel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I recently had two surgeries: one lumpectomy and one re-incision. Since then I have stopped eating all dairy, I drink homemade carrot and green juices most days, eat lots of raw beets (mostly juiced or in smoothies), eliminated most sugar except for certain honeys and raw cacao bars. I've also eliminated wheat and grains except for occasional rice and quinoa. My chronic constipation is cured. My healing is going well and my C-reactive protein (CRP) is 0.1mg/dL. My blood pressure is down from 186/116 to 126/85.

Comment from: Jeff, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

My fist indication of liver disease was when I had frequent nose bleeds. I went to the doctor and she determined I had very high blood pressure. She gave me medication and did further blood test work. The blood test came back showing extremely poor liver function. She sent me to a specialist who determined I had severe liver damage and was in stage four liver disease. He told me to get my affairs in order, and that I had maybe a month to five years to live maximum without a transplant. My doctor, convinced me to get on a transplant list. I survived seven years and got on the transplant list. My liver was so bad I ended up losing my kidneys and was on dialysis. Fortunately I got a liver and kidney transplant. After 19 months I am currently doing amazing with great liver and kidney function. The key is I only drink water, nothing else. All transplant patients should drink water only to clear the system of impurities and enhance liver and kidney function.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been on statin medication off and on for 15 months now, and I have been in a lot of pain in my feet and ankle. Now I have very bad pain in my left hand and wrist and the right hand. I stay very busy all the time. For the past two weeks I haven't been able to do yard work, it is so painful. It was so painful yesterday to even make the bed with clean sheets or cooking dinner or cleaning up after dinner. I had a shot today in the right wrist in hopes it helps so I will be able to sleep tonight. I am stopping the statin as of 11/13/2015 and see what happens in the next 10 days. The pain is awful. Hello doctors, listen to the patients and start talking to each other.