Schizoaffective Disorder - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your schizoaffective disorder?

What are schizoaffective disorder symptoms and signs?

The symptoms and signs of schizoaffective disorder include those of schizophrenia combined with major depressive disorder and/or a manic episode. Symptoms of schizophrenia may include the following:

• Hallucinations, like hearing voices, seeing, feeling, tasting, or smelling things that are not there

• Delusions are ways of thinking with no basis in reality. Types of delusions include paranoid/persecutory, religious, erotic, grandiose, jealous, body (somatic) or mixed (more than one) types

• Disorganized speech

• Severely disorganized or catatonic behaviors

• Negative symptoms, like the decrease or absence of speech (alogia), emotional expression, or movement

Similar to schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder is associated with impairments in memory, changing attention, thinking abstractly, and planning. However, people with schizoaffective disorder tend to have better cognitive functioning compared to people with schizophrenia. In terms of brain structure, individuals with schizoaffective disorder tend to have smaller brain volumes, particularly in certain areas.

Return to Schizoaffective Disorder

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Some of my symptoms without medications include hearing voices and being paranoid. I also have bipolar disorder, I can go up and down with mania (or hypo mania as my doctor calls it), and can also get a bit depressed here and there. I take medications and have a very normal life because of it. I still get paranoid, like thinking sometimes that someone is after me, but I'm learning that's not true. I feel like the medications balance me out. There is a chemical imbalance in my brain, and if I take these medications, then that does the job and allows me to be happy.

Comment from: sickandtired, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I have delusional false beliefs dealing in religion, and I always feel lost and too out there to be able to find anyone with any advice that will help. If I do find advice that seems to help, I get manic about it and then I crash, feeling betrayed, unable to believe anything anybody says.