Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Medications

What medications or other medical treatments have helped your vaginal pain (vulvodynia)?

Please select the white circle:

Medications and other medical therapies

Some of the medications that have been useful include:

• Topical estrogen creams
  • Topical or local anesthetics
  • Tricyclic antidepressants
  • Anticonvulsants (anti-seizure medications are sometimes useful in managing chronic pain)

Other medical therapies for women with severe vulvodynia include injections of interferon or nerve blocks, in which medications are injected to reduce signaling from nerves in the affected area. Biofeedback training and pelvic floor exercises have been helpful for some women. Finally, surgical removal of affected tissue can be of benefit in women with vulvodynia due to vulvar vestibulitis syndrome, a particular type of vulvodynia that is located at the area of the hymenal ring.

Return to Vaginal Pain

Comment from: Cravitts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I suffered through the burning pain after a hysterectomy, and couldn"t sit on hard surfaces without wanting to scream. Finally after a few visits to an obstetrician/gynecologist, she diagnosed vulvodynia and prescribed amitriptyline. My dosage is 75mg, 50mg helped most of the time but still had painful flare-ups.

Comment from: kestrel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I don't think anyone has suggested amitriptyline. This antidepressant can be prescribed in low doses for vulvodynia and other pain. The 10 mg I take each evening has alleviate my vulvodynia pain. Higher dosages can also be prescribed but as this medication can make you feel drowsy I will stick to the 10mg dose for now.