Sinus Headache - Cause

What was the cause of your sinus headache?

Please select the white circle:

What causes a sinus headache?

While a sinus inflammation (sinusitis) may be caused by a viral infection, much like a cold that causes swelling in the nose, the inflammation and decreased ability of the sinuses to drain may also be caused by an allergic reaction like hay fever. Inflammation, like anywhere else in the body, causes swelling and increased fluid production. In the sinuses, this decreases the ability of the sinuses to drain. The increased inflammatory fluid production (just like the weeping observed with a skin injury) combines with the decrease in drainage to cause the pain and pressure of a sinus headache.

Nature does not like stagnant fluid, and after a period of time, bacteria and viruses may travel from the nasal cavities into the stagnant fluid within the sinus cavity and cause an infection. Less commonly, fungal infections may cause a sinus infection, and even more rarely, tumors can invade the sinus.

The maxillary sinus sits underneath the eye within the cheekbone. The upper teeth attach to the lower portion of this bone, and dental infections can travel up the root of the tooth and infect the sinus directly.

Return to Sinus Headache

Comment from: IJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been suffering from headaches for about 2 years and believe it was brought on by the air conditioner at work. I get a lot of tension at front of my forehead. Sometimes when I touch or squeeze my forehead it feels like something is there. I get no runny nose.

Comment from: Edmonton, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

The cause of my sinus headache is severe dry air in new house. Portable humidifiers could not add enough moisture.