Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat exhaustion?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of heat exhaustion?

Individuals with heat exhaustion tend to have symptoms such as:

• Profuse sweating
  • Weakness
  • Muscle cramps
  • Headache
  • Nausea and vomiting.

As dehydration increases from the loss of body water, lightheadedness may occur and fainting (syncope) may occur especially, if the affected individual stands up quickly (due to orthostatic hypotension). A low grade fever also may be present.

Return to Heat Exhaustion

Comment from: red, 65-74 Male Published: January 06

I am 65. My wife and I walked the Sweetwater to Wasson Peak route yesterday, 1/1/12. It was an 80 degree cloudless winter day in Tucson. It is a 9.2 mile hike over extremely rugged rocky terrain. Every step has to be measured or else one could fall on rocks or cactus. It was about a 2000 foot rise. I brought along a camelback filled with water but unfortunately I didn't drink enough for the 5 hour and 20 minute hike. Today I am quite sick, my head is swimming and I am weak. I think it is heat exhaustion. The rule is that one must drink. I probably only consumed about 16 ounces of water while I should have consumed about 4x that much.

Comment from: Amanda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Two years ago I was at an air show. It was a hot day in August and both the main attraction and the sun were out in full force. I was standing looking through my camera with it focused toward the sky. I realized that I was starting to feel dizzy and had to take a seat. My fianc asked me if I was sweating, and I realized for the first time that I wasn't - even though it was hot and humid out, with the sun beating down on us. I was also trying to avoid drinking water so that I wouldn't have to use the bathroom on the ride home; turns out that was a bad idea! I'd rather stop at a bathroom at the way home than risk making myself sick from not enough water on a hot day.