Chalazion - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your chalazion?

What is the treatment for a chalazion?

Most chalazions are treated with warm compresses to the eyelid to increase the circulation of blood to the inflamed area and promote healing. In addition, the doctor may prescribe an antibiotic drop or ointment to be used immediately after the compresses. If the chalazion persists and is causing an unsightly lump, it can be removed surgically as an outpatient procedure under local anesthesia. This excision is ordinarily performed through a small incision located on the inside of the affected lid. The removal of a chalazion neither alters the normal function of the lid nor decreases the amount of tears.

Return to Chalazion

Comment from: suresh, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

One day I was sanding timber to re-paint, using a circular sander. The next day I noticed my eye lid was swollen and it was paining on the upper eye lid. I went to eye specialist. He said it was a meibomian cyst on my glands and asked me to apply warm pressing for a week. I have been doing it for last 5 days and it doesn't seems to be going away. My eye is really irritating when reading. If it doesn't get better in a week, I think I will ask my specialist to remove the cyst surgically.

Comment from: WannabeDR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

The lump in my eyelid grew over about a 5 month span. II was anxious about ridding myself of this large lump on my eye (month 4), but after 3 doctors' visits, I made peace with the fact that no one wanted to perform surgery. I had to aggressively treat my eye with warm water. It takes a lot of patience but 3 times a day, I sat down with a very hot cup of water (I let it boil and cool down a bit), a clean rag, and a plate of sea salt. The latter, I got from my Jamaican family--regular salt doesn't work. I dip the rag in the hot water, ring out the excess water. It's so hot I use my fingertips to ring it. Then I dip the rag in the salt and stick it on my eye. It's really improved and is almost gone now. Don't be afraid, my eye doctor told me, to rub the rag around and break up the fluid inside the lump. Good luck!