Coccydynia - Treatments

What was the treatment of your coccydynia?

What is the treatment for coccydynia?

Patients with coccydynia are advised to use a well-padded seat when sitting and avoid long periods of sitting when possible. If the condition becomes severe or persistently troublesome, then medical attention should be sought to accurately evaluate the cause of the pain, especially if there is associated bruising or rash.

Rest, avoiding reinjury to the affected area, anti-inflammatory medications, and pain medications can relieve symptoms. Sitting on a pillow, cushion, or buttock support can help. Some patients with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection. This injection is simply performed in the doctor's office and can potentially dramatically relieve the pain and even resolve the symptoms for many. Physical therapy with exercises can be helpful in the recovery. Rarely, when patients have unrelenting pain, a surgical resection of the coccyx (coccygectomy or surgery to remove the coccyx bone) can be performed to remove the irritated bony prominence.

Return to Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain)

Comment from: Trish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had/have what I now know is coccydynia for a couple years now. It is hard to know as I suffer chronic pain from fibromyalgia. It developed when I was trying to gain core strength through exercise on advice/guidance of physiotherapist. Obviously I was not doing things right. I started seeing osteopath with improvements in overall pain. Started Pilates classes offered by my osteopath on advice of everyone for core strength. I still have some pain on occasion when sitting too long but nowhere near what I went through before. I am hopeful that the stronger I get, the less the pain will be.

Comment from: daljeet singh, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I have been suffering with coccydynia for the last 3 months. I on my own started taking Naprosyn 500 mg twice a day and there is lot of improvement except the side effect of constipation and gas. Otherwise it is effective, and I have stopped after ten days. I wish everyone gets relief.