Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced

For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of arrhythmias?

An arrhythmia can be silent and not cause any symptoms. A doctor can detect an irregular heartbeat during a physical exam by taking your pulse or through an electrocardiogram (ECG).

When symptoms of an arrhythmia occur, they may include:

• Palpitations (a feeling of skipped heart beats, fluttering or "flip-flops," or feeling that your heart is "running away").
  • Pounding in your chest.
  • Dizziness or feeling light-headed.
  • Fainting.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Chest discomfort.
  • Weakness or fatigue (feeling very tired).

Return to Arrhythmia

Comment from: GeoffR, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

The first episode of arrhythmia I recall was in 1973 or 1974, when I was in my mid 20s. It passed quickly. The most recent was this morning, beginning at about 6:30 a.m., and continuing for about 5 hours. This was the most serious episode I have had. Fortunately, episodes are relatively infrequent. Sometimes arrhythmia kicks in when I stand up suddenly from a crouched position. I told the doctor who conducted an EKG on me in the summer of 2009 about these episodes, but the test didn't reveal anything. This morning I awoke thirsty, and got up to drink water and juice. After returning to bed, lying on my back, I felt the irregular heart beat start. It felt like something was bouncing around in my rib cage. Changing position did not help. When I did get up, I was very weak and tired, had no energy, and even found I was climbing stairs slowly. While sitting and reading, it finally stopped at about 11:30 a.m. My energy is back, more or less.

Comment from: Melis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am only 27 and have begun noticing signs of arrhythmia when I was 25. It"s incredibly scary especially at my young age experiencing this and thinking it is a heart attack and/or stroke. My doctor doesn"t take my concerns very seriously and therefore won"t look into it any further. More than twice a day, my heart will flutter rapidly, beat incredibly fast despite me standing still, often skip beats/flutter when sleeping on my right side. It"s all just incredibly scary and it is helpful hearing I"m not alone.

Stay Informed!