Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced

For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

What are the symptoms of arrhythmias?

An arrhythmia can be silent and not cause any symptoms. A doctor can detect an irregular heartbeat during a physical exam by taking your pulse or through an electrocardiogram (ECG).

When symptoms of an arrhythmia occur, they may include:

• Palpitations (a feeling of skipped heart beats, fluttering or "flip-flops," or feeling that your heart is "running away").
  • Pounding in your chest.
  • Dizziness or feeling light-headed.
  • Fainting.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Chest discomfort.
  • Weakness or fatigue (feeling very tired).
Return to Arrhythmia

Comment from: Melis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am only 27 and have begun noticing signs of arrhythmia when I was 25. It"s incredibly scary especially at my young age experiencing this and thinking it is a heart attack and/or stroke. My doctor doesn"t take my concerns very seriously and therefore won"t look into it any further. More than twice a day, my heart will flutter rapidly, beat incredibly fast despite me standing still, often skip beats/flutter when sleeping on my right side. It"s all just incredibly scary and it is helpful hearing I"m not alone.

Comment from: Kay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have had heart arrhythmias frequently for about two years now. It"s abnormal but it"s not life threatening. It"s hard to believe when doctors say it"s not anything to worry about. I have one of the best heart doctors in the world and he has taken my condition very lightly. I was diagnosed with heart premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) about a year and a half ago. The flutter in your chest and skipped heart beats can get really old. I am now suffering severe weakness, chest pain occasionally, lightheadedness, and I've had nausea for about 5 weeks now every day. It"s really frustrating when you are told it"s not a big deal and they just put you on medicine (that for me was not very effective). It is now affecting the quality of my life and I've struggled with it as well as all the symptoms I"ve dealt with the last month. I will have days where I will have 30 heart palpitations in 1 minute. If you are only having a few a day you have nothing to worry about. It"s when you start having other symptoms and it"s affecting your everyday life you should go in and get looked at. After a year of being treated and the problem has only worsened my doctor decided it would be best to do the catheter ablation surgery. I am scheduled for that on May 12th. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix for me. Anyone out there suffering with these like I do, I hope you can find a solution. Keep your head up. Ask about the surgery, it is 85% effective, I have high hopes that this will cure my problem. Good luck to you all.