Optic Neuritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your optic neuritis?

What is the treatment for optic neuritis?

If a definite cause (such as infection or underlying other disease) is determined, appropriate therapy for that cause can be instituted.

The Optic Neuritis Treatment Trial, a multicenter randomized trial with 15 years of follow-up, showed that oral steroid (prednisone) alone, had no benefit on recovery to normal visual acuity. High-dose intravenous steroids, which involve some risks and can have significant side effects in some patients - e.g. elevated blood sugar, depression, insomnia, gastrointestinal symptoms, etc. - did speed up the initial recovery of vision in the acute phase. However, there was no conclusive evidence that oral or intravenous steroids had any long-term benefit on visual acuity, visual field or contrast sensitivity five years later.

Return to Optic Neuritis

Comment from: Truckingangel05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had brain surgery in 2012. My neuro eye doctor couldn"t figure out why my optic nerves were swollen; because my head had been cut open. Along with blurred vision I was having bad head pressure. Top and back of head hurt to touch. So he sent me to the emergency room where they did an MRI and MRV. I also had a spinal tap because my pressure was severely high. Following week the neuro eye doctor put me on acetazolamide and I was still having head pressure but no blurred vision. I went to see a neuro oncologist and he upped the dose to 2 pills 3 times a day. I"ve had bare minimal head pressure but he said optic nerves are still swollen. So I'm hoping the medications continue to work and the optic nerves go back to normal.

Comment from: mamalisa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had bone spurs from both heels removed 20 years ago which was great, but I have both hips and spine spurs now. I can't walk just to and from the car, I don't carry much, and steps are a no, no. I can't stand to do dishes, I am having pain with any motion, no pain when I sit or lie. I have a lot of depression and anxiety from pain, so I feel useless.