Optic Neuritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your optic neuritis?

What is the treatment for optic neuritis?

If a definite cause (such as infection or underlying other disease) is determined, appropriate therapy for that cause can be instituted.

The Optic Neuritis Treatment Trial, a multicenter randomized trial with 15 years of follow-up, showed that oral steroid (prednisone) alone, had no benefit on recovery to normal visual acuity. High-dose intravenous steroids, which involve some risks and can have significant side effects in some patients - e.g. elevated blood sugar, depression, insomnia, gastrointestinal symptoms, etc. - did speed up the initial recovery of vision in the acute phase. However, there was no conclusive evidence that oral or intravenous steroids had any long-term benefit on visual acuity, visual field or contrast sensitivity five years later.

Return to Optic Neuritis

Comment from: vaymer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I noticed pain in my left eye and back of my head about one week ago, and took Aleve, thinking it would go away. Unfortunately, it got worse when my field of vision became minimal about two days ago, out of nowhere. I was told to immediately go to an eye specialist, who performed tests and an MRI and diagnosed the issue as optic neuritis. I have now been in the hospital for two days, receiving IV treatment of methylprednisolone and I plan to be here another two days. A small white matter was found during the MRI, but I am hoping that it does not turn out to be MS (multiple sclerosis); only time and more blood work will tell.

Comment from: Truckingangel05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had brain surgery in 2012. My neuro eye doctor couldn"t figure out why my optic nerves were swollen; because my head had been cut open. Along with blurred vision I was having bad head pressure. Top and back of head hurt to touch. So he sent me to the emergency room where they did an MRI and MRV. I also had a spinal tap because my pressure was severely high. Following week the neuro eye doctor put me on acetazolamide and I was still having head pressure but no blurred vision. I went to see a neuro oncologist and he upped the dose to 2 pills 3 times a day. I"ve had bare minimal head pressure but he said optic nerves are still swollen. So I'm hoping the medications continue to work and the optic nerves go back to normal.