Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Please select the black square:

What causes hamstring injuries, and what are types of hamstring injuries?

Hamstring injuries are muscle strain injuries. Hamstring injuries typically are caused by rapid acceleration activities when running or initiating running activity. Hamstring injuries are common in sports such as soccer, football, and track. Injuries to the hamstring group of muscles can range from a minor strain to a major rupture. A minor strain is classified as a grade I tear, whereas a complete rupture, or tear, is classified as a grade III tear. Grade II tears are partial ruptures. Given the function of these muscles, it should not be surprising that grade III injuries most frequently occur in the athletically active. Severely torn muscle causes impaired function. Grade I injuries tend to be mild in that they tend to heal fully with only minor aggravation to the injured, especially in the sedentary individual. On the other hand, in power athletes, hamstring injuries can be severe and debilitating. Many a promising or successful athletic career has been limited or ended by such injuries. One such memorable image is that of Yankee baseball star Mickey Mantle sprawled in agony at first base, having sustained a massive grade III tear while lunging to beat out a throw. Even common exercises, such as jumping rope, tennis, and elliptical machine walking can lead to injury of the hamstring muscles.

Return to Hamstring Injury

Comment from: Big Dennis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had atrial fibrillation for over 3 years. I tried living with it, but I started getting depressed and feeling more run down every month. Four cardioversions did not help. I finally had an ablation on 12/23/2015. So far it is working, but it is too soon to say how successful it is. My heart is in rhythm and I feel better every day.

Comment from: Pete, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I slipped on ice with my left foot. My left leg skidded forward and my right leg went behind me. I fell back onto my right leg and felt a terrific strain on my hamstrings then a sudden shock. The pain was very severe and I couldn't move my leg at all or even sit. I was also on warfarin since I had atrial fibrillation. It took 3.5 hours for an ambulance to arrive in wet and cold conditions, and my core temperature dropped severely. Turns out I had torn my hamstring at the buttocks and in the middle, and also my calf muscle. I lost a large amount of blood internally and needed 3 pints transfusion. MRI showed a large hematoma running down my femur that will take a year to be absorbed. After 5 weeks I can just about walk with one crutch, but it will take several weeks before I can walk normally. The initial pain was horrendous, and even now it is sore to walk and I feel very weak when I try to walk unaided. Main pain after 5 weeks is at joint of thigh and buttocks and in the middle of my calf. I have always been active, playing football and rugby, and also middle distance runner from 12 till until aged around 45.