Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

What causes hamstring injuries, and what are types of hamstring injuries?

Hamstring injuries are muscle strain injuries. Hamstring injuries typically are caused by rapid acceleration activities when running or initiating running activity. Hamstring injuries are common in sports such as soccer, football, and track. Injuries to the hamstring group of muscles can range from a minor strain to a major rupture. A minor strain is classified as a grade I tear, whereas a complete rupture, or tear, is classified as a grade III tear. Grade II tears are partial ruptures. Given the function of these muscles, it should not be surprising that grade III injuries most frequently occur in the athletically active. Severely torn muscle causes impaired function. Grade I injuries tend to be mild in that they tend to heal fully with only minor aggravation to the injured, especially in the sedentary individual. On the other hand, in power athletes, hamstring injuries can be severe and debilitating. Many a promising or successful athletic career has been limited or ended by such injuries. One such memorable image is that of Yankee baseball star Mickey Mantle sprawled in agony at first base, having sustained a massive grade III tear while lunging to beat out a throw. Even common exercises, such as jumping rope, tennis, and elliptical machine walking can lead to injury of the hamstring muscles.

Return to Hamstring Injury

Comment from: MichelleH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

The hamstring injury happened in winter. I stepped over a pile of frozen snow onto what I thought was bare concrete. It was actually black ice. I fell and hit my hamstring on the frozen snow. I had horrible pain, and was unable to stand. They told me at the clinic that it was a bruised hamstring. I turned black and blue from buttocks down. I was unable to sit in chair, muscle spasms, and walked with limp. I insisted on seeing an orthopedic who sent me for an MRI. I had a stage 3 tear and had to have surgery to repair it.

Comment from: Lydia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

While herding cows and 4 wheeler tipped, my left foot caught under gear and the right foot was extended. My shirt caught on the throttle, and result was pulled left hamstring.