Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Please select the white circle:

What causes hamstring injuries, and what are types of hamstring injuries?

Hamstring injuries are muscle strain injuries. Hamstring injuries typically are caused by rapid acceleration activities when running or initiating running activity. Hamstring injuries are common in sports such as soccer, football, and track. Injuries to the hamstring group of muscles can range from a minor strain to a major rupture. A minor strain is classified as a grade I tear, whereas a complete rupture, or tear, is classified as a grade III tear. Grade II tears are partial ruptures. Given the function of these muscles, it should not be surprising that grade III injuries most frequently occur in the athletically active. Severely torn muscle causes impaired function. Grade I injuries tend to be mild in that they tend to heal fully with only minor aggravation to the injured, especially in the sedentary individual. On the other hand, in power athletes, hamstring injuries can be severe and debilitating. Many a promising or successful athletic career has been limited or ended by such injuries. One such memorable image is that of Yankee baseball star Mickey Mantle sprawled in agony at first base, having sustained a massive grade III tear while lunging to beat out a throw. Even common exercises, such as jumping rope, tennis, and elliptical machine walking can lead to injury of the hamstring muscles.

Return to Hamstring Injury

Comment from: Matt, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I was 19 years old, I was rounding third base in a full out sprint. As I stepped on the base, I felt a horrible pain, and I was face planted in the ground holding my hamstring. For the first time in my life I didn't even think about getting back to the base. I couldn't stand, I couldn't move, I couldn't bend it and finally crawled off the field. I still had to drive my 5-speed home and it was my clutch leg too. I developed a nasty, yellow, green, black and blue bruise across the back of my thigh of course, which lasted for almost two months. I took 9 months to rehab and heal before pushing it. For a couple years after, I had problems with slight pulls, but 6 or 7 years later now, I've learned to stretch it correctly and now I just have pictures of the nasty bruise to remember it.

Comment from: Ace, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Playing hockey, carrying the puck, I hit the brakes" to avoid a check, and yikes, tightened muscles at the back of braking leg. It hurt for rest of the game, still sore today, but plan to play tomorrow and rest of the month, will have the summer to rehab if necessary.