Hyperparathyroidism - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with your hyperparathyroidism?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of hyperparathyroidism?

A person with hyperparathyroidism may have severe symptoms, subtle ones, or none at all. Increasingly, routine blood tests that screen for a wide range of conditions, including high calcium levels, are alerting doctors to people who have mild forms of the disorder even though they are symptom-free.

When symptoms do appear, they are often mild and nonspecific, such as a feeling of weakness and fatigue, depression, or aches and pains. With more severe disease, a person may have a loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, constipation, confusion or impaired thinking and memory, and increased thirst and urination. Patients may have thinning of the bones without symptoms, but with risk of fractures. Increased calcium and phosphorus excretion in the urine may cause kidney stones.

Return to Hyperparathyroidism

Comment from: Trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I do not have all my blood level results in but have been told that my PTH is high and the calcium is low. The PTH blood level has not been taken in years and when I tried to mention this to a doctor they just kind of dismissed it. I have been feeling tired, thirsty, I don"t feel like doing anything, my joints ache through hands and sometimes legs. What if it goes untreated for many years, then what! I had one ultrasound about 10 years ago and the gland was enlarged but no doctor really did anything about it. I wonder how serious this hyperparathyroidism can be!

Comment from: cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

My hyperparathyroidism came as a total surprise. My calcium blood levels have been normal all through this process 8.6 being the highest. My doctor just decided to check my parathyroid hormone (PTH), which came back at 232, off the charts. I have had depression and anxiety for several years and take medication for it, I had a large kidney stone a few years ago with safe removal but the urologist said not to take calcium supplements ever again. My hair has been thinning but thought that was an aging problem. I have not been able to see a specialist, I live in a very small area of NY State. I don"t know how afraid I should be.