Hyperhidrosis - Treatments

What were the treatments for your hyperhidrosis?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment of hyperhidrosis?

Through a systematic evaluation of causes and triggers of excessive sweating, followed by a judicious, stepwise approach to treatment, many people with this annoying disorder can achieve improved quality of life. The decision on initial treatment depends upon the severity of the condition and the anatomical areas that are affected.

The approach to treating hyperhidrosis generally proceeds as follows:

• Over-the-counter antiperspirants: Home remedies like these are usually tried first because they are readily available. Antiperspirants containing aluminum chloride (for example, Certain-Dri) may be more effective when other antiperspirants have failed. So-called "natural" antiperspirants are often not very helpful.
  • Prescription-strength antiperspirants: those containing aluminum chloride hexahydrate
  • Iontophoresis: a device that passes direct electricity through the skin using tap water
  • Oral medications: from the group of medications known as anticholinergics, which reduce sweating
  • Botox (botulinum toxin): approved in the U.S. by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating excessive axillary sweating
  • Microwave destruction: a device destroys the sweat glands, purportedly causing minimal damage to other tissues
  • Surgery: paraspinal sympathectomy, or interruption of certain nerve pathways, as a last resort

Aluminum chloride hexahydrate

When regular antiperspirants fail, as they often do, to remedy hyperhidrosis, most doctors start by recommending aluminum chloride hexahydrate (Drysol, various generics), a prescription-strength version of aluminum chloride. It is applied just before bedtime seven to 10 nights in a row, then roughly once a week as a maintenance medication. The aluminum salts in this preparation collect in the sweat ducts and block them. Over time, the excessive perspiration may diminish to such an extent that no further treatment is needed. This method works reasonably well for many patients whose problem is excessive underarm sweating, but it's not satisfactory for most of those with palm and sole sweating.

The main side effect with aluminum chloride is irritation, which can sometimes, but not always, be overcome by reducing the frequency of use or applying anti-inflammatory medications such as lotions containing hydrocortisone.

Iontophoresis was introduced over 50 years ago as a treatment for excessive sweating. Its exact mechanism of action is still unclear. The procedure uses water to conduct an electric current to the skin, which combats the production of sweat. The current is applied typically for 10-20 minutes per session, initially with two to three sessions per week followed by a maintenance program of treatments at one- to three-week intervals, depending upon the patient's response. Iontophoresis treatments sound painful but in fact are not.

Patients purchase devices for this treatment through a doctor's prescription. Medical insurers sometimes cover the cost.

Oral medications

Oral anticholinergic medications such as glycopyrrolate (Robinul) can be quite effective for this condition, but they can produce side effects like dry mouth, insomnia, and blurred vision.

Botulinum toxin (Botox), a muscle poison much in the news as a cosmetic treatment for wrinkles, has actually been used in many areas of medicine for some time, such as in the treatment of muscle spasms and certain types of headaches. Its latest medical use is for treating excessive underarm sweating.

Botox is injected into tissues of the armpit or hand. This may produce approximately six months of relief from sweating. The injections are uncomfortable, but use of a very small needle minimizes discomfort.

Now that this treatment has received FDA approval, many health insurers are providing coverage for the injections and the Botox itself, which is quite costly.

Currently, the FDA has not approved Botox for treating sweating of the palms and soles of the feet, though some physicians are administering it as an off-label use, with some success. Drawbacks of using this treatment for the palms and soles are pain, requiring nerve blocks to numb the hands in order to make the injections tolerable, and the potential for temporary muscle weakness.

Microwave, Laser, and Ultrasound Destruction

These new techniques produce energy that presumably destroys sweat glands while preserving other tissues. Currently, only the armpits seem to be appropriate treatment sites. Treatments occur in a physician's office and in recent studies have been accompanied by local swelling and irritation as well as a variety of other relatively minor side effects. Sweating seems to be significantly decreased for a time with these treatments. How these would be used in other anatomical areas aside from the armpits is not clear.

Return to Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)

Comment from: R Lombardi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have to snicker, reading about the latest thing to rub here and there to prevent sweat. I have been sweating, from every sweat gland in my body, since I was 27. Heat is very troublesome, but I can also break into a drenching sweat outside at 45 degrees just putting the trash in the trunk of the car to take it to the dump. I do not own a winter coat. I would have to immerse myself in a vat of whatever they're selling to hope for any relief. I've heard about the botox around the hairline thing. You know how, after a big rain in a city, they show storm drains where the water is pouring out so fast it's lifting the manhole cover? That's what I picture from around my collar. On the plus side, I'm only slightly graying, and when I'm making my own gravy in public, I get knowing looks from ladies, who seem to think I'm going through the change, which would make me about 15 years younger than I actually am.

Comment from: Dino, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

The aluminum chloride (Drysol) in my case literally changed my life. I used to sweat nonstop and it was so embarrassing until a doctor finally prescribed this to me. I tried the electronic hand and foot pads they did not work at all. My hands still sweat profusely and it is embarrassing to shake hands, but at least my armpits are not puddles anymore.