Connective Tissue Disease - Diagnosis

How was your connective tissue disease diagnosed?

Please select the white circle:

How are connective tissue diseases diagnosed?

The doctor can sometimes detect a particular connective tissue disease simply by the physical examination. Frequently, blood testing, X-ray examination, and other tests can help in making a diagnosis of connective tissue disease.

Return to Connective Tissue Disease

Comment from: Jan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I had stomach ache for hours from November 2010 until January 2011. I saw the family doctor, was sent to surgeon and on 1/25/2011 was operated on for left groin hernia and partial gangrened bowel. I had another hernia in May 2011, another double one in August 2011 and bowel put back in, one more in May 2012 and numerous holes and repairs. I had infected gall bladder removed 11/25/2014 and doctor found a large hernia again and I just had 5th hernia involving intestines repaired 1/8/2015, which was about the size of softball and grew a lot before removal last week. I was told connective tissue is no longer holding and he used patch, tissue, and patch over that. I have no clue how many more but he said there would be and that there was nothing that could be done about it. I am trying to find out why and if medicine can be used to treat it. I am in painful recovery and trying to heal. I wish someone could help me. I am 78 and have chronic back pain, and many health problems. I don't know if there is any doctor who diagnoses it, other than the surgeon in my area.

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I was finally diagnosed with connective tissue disease after anti-nucleic antibody (ANA) blood test was done.