Connective Tissue Disease - Diagnosis

How was your connective tissue disease diagnosed?

How are connective tissue diseases diagnosed?

The doctor can sometimes detect a particular connective tissue disease simply by the physical examination. Frequently, blood testing, X-ray examination, and other tests can help in making a diagnosis of connective tissue disease.

Return to Connective Tissue Disease

Comment from: Mabs, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had a number of diagnoses which started with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis and ended with UCTD (undifferentiated connective tissue disorder) over 15 years.

Comment from: dismissed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I've had chronic aches and pains since childhood. Initially it began with ankle pain that was dismissed as "growing pains." By the time I was 10 I started having lower back aches and by the time I was 18 this pain was worse and more chronic. (Side note: I was a dancer from 3 years to 18 years of age) After seeing countless doctors I was finally diagnosed as hypermobile when I was 25. At 26 I started taking medication (Cymbalta), which has helped for mental clarity. The pain has progressed with age and spread to the majority of my body (fingers, toes, hips, back, neck, etc.) I am now in my 30s, I was recently given a Beighton score 7/9 and told I likely have more than one issue going one - HMS (hybermobility syndrome) or BJHS (benign joint hypermobility syndrome) + CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) + Fibromyalgia. I'm currently trying Cymbalta and Lyrica in addition to pain medications as needed.

Stay Informed!