Cushing's Syndrome - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms you have experienced with Cushing's syndrome.

What are the symptoms of Cushing's syndrome?

Symptoms vary, but most people have upper body obesity, rounded face, increased fat around the neck, and thinning arms and legs. Children tend to be obese with slowed growth rates.

Other symptoms appear in the skin, which becomes fragile and thin. It bruises easily and heals poorly. Purplish pink stretch marks may appear on the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, arms and breasts. The bones are weakened, and routine activities such as bending, lifting or rising from a chair may lead to backaches, rib and spinal column fractures.

Most people have severe fatigue, weak muscles, high blood pressure and high blood sugar. Irritability, anxiety and depression are common.

Women usually have excess hair growth on their faces, necks, chests, abdomens, and thighs. Their menstrual periods may become irregular or stop. Men have decreased fertility with diminished or absent desire for sex.

Return to Cushing's Syndrome

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have Cushing's syndrome. I had to have surgery to remove one of my adrenal glands. I had very bad menstrual issues with the discovery that I had an ovarian tumor the size of a grapefruit which destroyed my ovary and my fallopian tube. This was when they found the two tumors in the adrenal glands. I have been treated now for over 6 years. My one remaining adrenal gland seems to be functioning pretty well. However, I have also been diagnosed with hyperthyrodism. I am told that I will eventually lose my other adrenal gland. I have definitely gained weight, I never went over 140lbs earlier but now I weigh 218 lbs. My eyesight is poor and my body is just a mess.

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have just been diagnosed with Cushing's disease in the last month and am waiting to meet with a neurologist. My symptoms are textbook... diabetes, high blood pressure, weight gain, weakened bones, stretch marks, fatigue, muscle deterioration, mood swings, rosacea, bruising, facial hair, memory loss, etc. The endocrinologist I finally found thinks I probably have had it for 10 years or more; very frustrating.