Cushing's Syndrome - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms you have experienced with Cushing's syndrome.

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of Cushing's syndrome?

Symptoms vary, but most people have upper body obesity, rounded face, increased fat around the neck, and thinning arms and legs. Children tend to be obese with slowed growth rates.

Other symptoms appear in the skin, which becomes fragile and thin. It bruises easily and heals poorly. Purplish pink stretch marks may appear on the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, arms and breasts. The bones are weakened, and routine activities such as bending, lifting or rising from a chair may lead to backaches, rib and spinal column fractures.

Most people have severe fatigue, weak muscles, high blood pressure and high blood sugar. Irritability, anxiety and depression are common.

Women usually have excess hair growth on their faces, necks, chests, abdomens, and thighs. Their menstrual periods may become irregular or stop. Men have decreased fertility with diminished or absent desire for sex.

Return to Cushing's Syndrome

Comment from: Nihashirley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I'm a Cushing's patient, I've been suffering from this sickness from 16 1/2 years. Now I'm 24. I was really thin, my menstruation was not regular, and then within a month's time I started gaining weight (moon face, fat neck, buffalo hump, and obesity in the tummy). I underwent surgery for pituitary gland tumor in 2008 Jan, but my surgeon left 10% of the tumor because it's touching my eye nerves. So I had to take radiation therapy (January 2009) for a period of 1 month. I was under different drugs from time to time (ketoconazole, Metopirone, and many other). Now I have got fat in the liver (SGPT and SGOT levels are very high). I would like to know if there is any cure for this sickness.

Comment from: MomofCushings?, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My son is 18, asthmatic since 2 years. He is on and off corticosteroids to control asthma, and taking prednisone a week at a time during serious asthma attacks, which happened every month as a young child, lessening to 4 times a year to now, rarely. In spring he was very sick with flu, coughing which caused hemorrhaging in his eyes, bruising in the sockets, and black eyes. He required prednisone for his asthma, and has developed Cushing's. He weighs 250 lb. with height 6 ft. 2. He has large stomach, and thick tissue along upper back and neck. Arms and legs are muscular, not flabby, face very round, and thick tissue under chin. He works afternoon shift, stays awake till 1 am, and gets up after 10 hours sleep feeling tired. He is too tired to walk to store or just go for walk; feels stressed, although lives in own apartment. He is in a stable situation with sibling (not me). He feels too stressed to go to college with his friends, regarded tests as easy in high school.