Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome - Treatments

How was your Ehlers-Danlos syndrome treated?

How are Ehlers-Danlos syndromes treated?

Ehlers-Danlos syndromes are treated according to the particular manifestations present in a given individual.

Skin protection (from injury of trauma and sun, etc.) is critical. Wounds must be tended with great care and infections treated and prevented. Suturing can be difficult as the skin can be extremely fragile.

Joint injury must be avoided. Occasionally, bracing may be necessary to maintain joint stability. Exercises that strengthen the muscles that support the joints can help to minimize joint injury. Contact sports and activities involving joint impact should be avoided.

Return to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

Comment from: amcariboo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I was diagnosed 6 years ago with EDS (Ehlers-Danlos syndrome). I have since 2001 undergone 10 surgeries. One was for my shoulder which separated and also for uterine prolapse. The prolapse happened when I was 25 and I had to get a hysterectomy. I was grateful to have been able to have had two daughters even though they were early due to the fact my body cannot support the weight of a child. My hips now dislocate at will and have had to call 911 once because it did not willingly pop back in. What I have is the looks I get. I am bruised from head to toe and I look like I have been beaten. I have also had to have a heart ablation. I hope that my children do not have this as no one else in my family does. We think my grandmother had it but, we do not know for sure. I wish every day for a new way to cope but, as of now I just take my medications like a good girl and appreciate the days when I can function and do stuff with my daughters.

Comment from: TiaEstrella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am 62, diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos hypermobility about 15 years ago. I believe I inherited the syndrome through my mother"s family, which has a long history of being double-jointed. My children and grandchildren appear to be symptom free. After too many years on Celebrex, Ultram, naproxen and other heavy-duty painkillers, a doctor of naturopathy helped me to wean off the drugs. I experienced more pain relief through non-processed natural foods and nutrition than I ever received from the drugs. Of course, nutrition does not cure EDS. In recent years I have received physical therapy and wear leg braces to minimize dislocations. My service dog enables mobility without the wheelchair. I continue very mild exercises and remain drug-free with careful nutritional discipline.