Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome - Treatments

How was your Ehlers-Danlos syndrome treated?

Please select the white circle:

How are Ehlers-Danlos syndromes treated?

Ehlers-Danlos syndromes are treated according to the particular manifestations present in a given individual.

Skin protection (from injury of trauma and sun, etc.) is critical. Wounds must be tended with great care and infections treated and prevented. Suturing can be difficult as the skin can be extremely fragile.

Joint injury must be avoided. Occasionally, bracing may be necessary to maintain joint stability. Exercises that strengthen the muscles that support the joints can help to minimize joint injury. Contact sports and activities involving joint impact should be avoided.

Return to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

Comment from: christielucy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I had a karmic reaction when I was pretending to kick some one. My hamstring tightened immediately and I hobbled off quite defeated. The pain is in my hamstring but travels through around my hip into my groin. I am not sure if I should bother my doctor with this but some movements cause light popping even now.

Comment from: James Aquila, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I have Type III Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which I inherited from my father. I have been using Solomon's seal and hyaluronic acid to support my joints, tendons, and ligaments. They are really helping with the inflammation, spasms, and pain. They do not provide total relief, but are worth the time and effort. I also take prescription medication because supplements can only do so much. I only use the supplements with the full knowledge of my physician to prevent any unwanted interactions.