Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments

What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Costochondritis can be aggravated by any activity that involves stressing the structures of the front of the chest cage. It is generally best to minimize these activities until the inflammation of the rib and cartilage areas has subsided.

Rest, anti-inflammatory drugs, physical therapy, and cortisone injections have been used as therapy for the inflamed, painful cartilage of both costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome. Ice packs applied to local swelling can sometimes help to reduce pain and inflammation. Local lidocaine analgesic patch (Lidoderm) application can reduce pain.

Return to Costochondritis

Comment from: Barbara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I'm a 35 year old woman. I've had Tietze's syndrome for over 11 years, with no improvement. When it first started in 2004 the doctors misdiagnosed with costochondritis, but I've always had a large lumps on top of my left rib cage. It wasn't until 2013 when they finally gave me the actual diagnosis of Tietze's syndrome. I've been getting cortisone injection along with nerve blockers every 3 or 4 months since 2013. Unfortunately the lump and swelling are still progressing. My lump is now as large as my hand and starts just left of my sternum and ends under my left arm pit. Also I now have a new lump on top of the right side of my rib cage. My attacks make it hard to get a full breath. The only way I have been able to stop the attacks, is to find the biggest person I can find and have them push very hard on top of my lump and forcefully hold it until the attack subsides. I am hoping to get a referral to a rheumatologist soon. Naproxen, hydromorphone, and perks don't do much when it feels like I'm having a heart attack.

Comment from: Margaret, 65-74 Male Published: November 12

I am type 2 diabetic. I have itching and stinging when I inject and over the last two weeks have developed hives all over my stomach.