Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments

What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Costochondritis can be aggravated by any activity that involves stressing the structures of the front of the chest cage. It is generally best to minimize these activities until the inflammation of the rib and cartilage areas has subsided.

Rest, anti-inflammatory drugs, physical therapy, and cortisone injections have been used as therapy for the inflamed, painful cartilage of both costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome. Ice packs applied to local swelling can sometimes help to reduce pain and inflammation. Local lidocaine analgesic patch (Lidoderm) application can reduce pain.

Return to Costochondritis

Comment from: Margaret, 65-74 Male Published: November 12

I am type 2 diabetic. I have itching and stinging when I inject and over the last two weeks have developed hives all over my stomach.

Comment from: diskatdreamer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have had fibromyalgia for about 5 years and episodes of costochondritis for about 3 years. My first few episodes of costochondritis I was given prednisone, anti-inflammatory medicines and muscle relaxer. The first couple of episodes went away in about a week. Last year's episode lasted about six weeks (it felt like much longer). I'd start to feel a little better when taking prednisone 3 times a day but then would get worse when I cut down to 2 times a day. After a few rounds of prednisone and not feeling any better my doctor had my heart and lungs checked out and they were fine. I just had to keep doing the same old thing till I finally felt better. During this time I missed quite a bit of work (I would think I felt good enough for work, go in one day and be in pain and gasping for breath when I finished my shift as a nurse's aide). I am now three weeks into a new episode. I decided that I would stay home from work and just concentrate on taking my medicines and get plenty of rest and maybe I'd do better than last year. I am having the same problems as last year and now my doctor wants me to have a cardiac consult and won't sign the papers for short term disability so that I can at least get paid for some of my time off. I have gone to pain management and talked about changing the way I take some of my medications and start physical therapy on Monday. I'm also thinking of trying a chiropractor. I'm just so frustrated and would do almost anything to get rid of the dull aching pain and the struggle to take a deep breath. I'm stuck in a vicious circle of not wanting to go to work because I don't want to accidentally harm a resident because I don't feel up to par and having to go to work to keep my job and pay the bills. Thanks for letting me rant! My thoughts are with everyone who is also suffering with costochondritis.