Mercury Poisoning - Symptoms

Not ready to share? Read other Patient Comments

What symptoms did you experience with your mercury poisoning?

Share your story with others:

MedicineNet appreciates your comment. Your comment may be displayed on the site and will always be published anonymously.Patient Comments FAQs

Enter your Comment

Tell us a bit about your background to make your comments more useful to other MedicineNet users. (Optional)

Screen Name: *

Gender of Patient: Male Female

Age Range of Patient:

I am a: Patient Caregiver

* Screen Name will appear next to the published comment. Please do not include your full name or email address.

By submitting your comment, and other materials (collectively referred to as a "Submission") to MedicineNet, you grant MedicineNet permission to use, copy, transmit, publish, display, edit and modify your Submission in connection with its Web site. MedicineNet will not pay you for your Submission. You represent that you have all rights necessary for MedicineNet to use your Submission as set forth above.

Please keep these guidelines in mind when writing your comment:

  • Please make sure you address the question asked.
  • Due to the overwhelming number of comments received, not all comments will be published.
  • When selecting comments to publish, our staff will choose those that are educational and complement the topic. Please try to stay on topic.
  • Your comment may be edited. We would typically edit comments to make them clearer and more readable. We will remove personal information such as last names, email and web addresses, and other potentially harmful information.
  • We will not notify you if your comment has been published. We suggest that you check back on the topic article regularly.
  • We do not provide medical or healthcare advice, treatment, or diagnosis.

Thank you for participating!

I have read and agree to abide by the MedicineNet Terms and Conditions and the MedicineNet Privacy Policy (required).

To prevent our systems from spam, please complete the following prior to submitting your comment.

Please select the white square:

What are the health effects and symptoms of mercury exposure or poisoning?

People in the U.S. are mainly exposed to methylmercury, an organic compound, when they eat fish and shellfish that contain methylmercury. Whether an exposure to the various forms of mercury will harm a person's health depends on a number of factors (below). Almost all people have at least trace amounts of methylmercury in their tissues, reflecting methylmercury's widespread presence in the environment and people's exposure through the consumption of fish and shellfish. People may be exposed to mercury in any of its forms under different circumstances. The factors that determine how severe the health effects are from mercury exposure include these:

  • the chemical form of mercury;
  • the dose;
  • the age of the person exposed (the fetus is the most susceptible);
  • the duration of exposure;
  • the route of exposure -- inhalation, ingestion, dermal contact, etc.; and
  • the health of the person exposed.

Mercury exists in three chemical forms. They each have specific effects on human health.

  1. Methylmercury
  2. Elemental mercury
  3. Other mercury compounds (inorganic and organic)

Methylmercury effects

For fetuses, infants, and children, the primary health effect of methylmercury is impaired neurological development. Methylmercury exposure in the womb, which can result from a mother's consumption of fish and shellfish that contain methylmercury, can adversely affect a baby's growing brain and nervous system. Impacts on cognitive thinking, memory, attention, language, and fine motor and visual spatial skills have been seen in children exposed to methylmercury in the womb. Recent human biological monitoring by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1999 and 2000 (PDF) shows that most people have blood mercury levels below a level associated with possible health effects. More recent data from the CDC support this general finding.

Outbreaks of methylmercury poisonings have made it clear that adults, children, and developing fetuses are at risk from ingestion exposure to methylmercury. During these poisoning outbreaks some mothers with no symptoms of nervous system damage gave birth to infants with severe disabilities, it became clear that the developing nervous system of the fetus may be more vulnerable to methylmercury than is the adult nervous system.

For more information on fish consumption advisories across the country, visit EPA's fish consumption web pages.

Symptoms of methylmercury poisoning

In addition to the subtle impairments noted above, symptoms of methylmercury poisoning may include;

  • impairment of the peripheral vision;
  • disturbances in sensations ("pins and needles" feelings, usually in the hands, feet, and around the mouth);
  • lack of coordination of movements;
  • impairment of speech, hearing, walking; and
  • muscle weakness.

People concerned about their exposure to methylmercury should consult their physician.

Elemental mercury effects

Elemental (metallic) mercury primarily causes health effects when it is breathed as a vapor where it can be absorbed through the lungs. These exposures can occur when elemental mercury is spilled or products that contain elemental mercury break and expose mercury to the air, particularly in warm or poorly-ventilated indoor spaces.

Symptoms of elemental mercury effects

Symptoms include these:

  • tremors;
  • emotional changes (e.g., mood swings, irritability, nervousness, excessive shyness);
  • insomnia;
  • neuromuscular changes (such as weakness, muscle atrophy, twitching);
  • headaches;
  • disturbances in sensations;
  • changes in nerve responses;
  • performance deficits on tests of cognitive function.

At higher exposures there may be kidney effects, respiratory failure and death. People concerned about their exposure to elemental mercury should consult their physician.

Effects of other mercury compounds (inorganic and organic)

High exposures to inorganic mercury may result in damage to the gastrointestinal tract, the nervous system, and the kidneys. Both inorganic and organic mercury compounds are absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract and affect other systems via this route. However, organic mercury compounds are more readily absorbed via ingestion than inorganic mercury compounds.

Symptoms of high exposures to inorganic mercury

Symptoms of high exposures to inorganic mercury include:

  • skin rashes and dermatitis;
  • mood swings;
  • memory loss;
  • mental disturbances; and
  • muscle weakness.

People concerned about their exposure to inorganic mercury should consult their physician.

Return to Mercury Poisoning

See what others are saying

Comment from: sparkmonkey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

Back in the 1980s I was in the service. One of my jobs was to change out thousands of florescent light bulbs and we disposed of them by smashing them so they would fit in the dumpster. Every day for a couple weeks I would be covered in the white powder from all the broken tubes, it was almost like a fog there was so much of it in the air. We also used mercury to clean certain instruments. This was simply mercury in a pan and we used an acid brush to clean off the excess mercury. Any spills were simply picked up with a vacuum. Here it is 25 years later and I have a destroyed thyroid, hair loss, bone issues, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), memory issues, chronic headaches 24/7, and insomnia. I wonder if there is a way to test if the root cause of this was the exposure that happened back in the 1980s.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: catwoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I worked in a dental office for 15 years and I mixed the amalgam fillings, breathed the vapors as the dentist drilled, etc. I got very ill when about 29 or 30 years old. I lost a lot of weight, had horrible anxiety attacks 24 hours a day, fatigue, depression, skin rashes, unable to cope, and suicidal. It ruined my life and my family's life. I had 2 pregnancies during the time I worked as a dental assistant and both of my children have nervous problems. My immune system is damaged from the mercury also. If I get sick I am down for a long time. It's been a nightmare for 30 years now but I am doing better in a lot of ways.

Was this comment helpful?Yes


Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!