Wegener's Granulomatosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Wegner's granulomatosis?

What are symptoms of Wegener's granulomatosis?

Symptoms of Wegener's granulomatosis are:

• bloody sputum,
  • fevers,
  • fatigue,
  • joint pains,
  • shortness of breath,
  • sinus inflammation (sinusitis), and
  • weight loss.

Nasal ulcerations and even bloody nasal discharge can occur. Other areas of the body that can also become inflamed in patients with Wegener's granulomatosis include the eyes, the nerves (neuropathy), the middle ear (otitis media), and the skin resulting in skin nodules or ulcers.

Return to Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (GPA or Wegener's Granulomatosis)

Comment from: A92C4Ragtp, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I was diagnosed with Wegener's granulomatosis in March 2014. My symptoms were nose bleeds, fever, fatigue, coughing and shortness of breath. I was being treated for a sinus infection by my general physician and was prescribed antibiotics. It didn't help and I was sent to get bloodwork done. Results showed acute kidney failure! I was hospitalized and given 7 plasmapheresis treatments as well as 6 IV Cytoxan treatments. I was also put on 60 mg prednisone and Bactrim. I am down to 5 mg prednisone now. I have been on 150 mg of Imuran since July 2014. I am in total remission now (thank goodness) but I take a 2 or 3 hour kip (nap) every afternoon. If my blood test numbers continue to stay where they are, my nephrologist will wean me down 50 mg every 4 to 6 weeks starting in April 2016 to 0! Can't wait! I was very fortunate that it wasn't in my lungs too.

Comment from: God is always good, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

It was 3 year ago I went to the doctor, I could not breathe. They put me on antibiotics, but I did not get better only worse. The next year I could not walk 1/3 of a block without stopping, my lungs were not working well and were scarred. The diagnosis was Wagner's granulomatosis. I started Rituxan infusions, had 4 once a week for a month, and they did not work. Six months later I had 3 more infusion once a week and during this time I lost my job from being so sick. They put me on azathioprine. I have all the symptoms and get worse day by day. I stay in bed most days. This disease has taken over my life, I have almost lost everything, and I will be homeless soon.