Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms and signs of hand, foot, and mouth disease?

HFMD is most commonly an illness of the spring and fall seasons.

• Initial symptoms of mild fever (101 F-102 F) and malaise are followed within one or two days by a characteristic rash.
  • Small (2 mm-3 mm) red spots that quickly develop into small blisters (vesicles) appear on the palms, soles, and oral cavity.
    • The gums, tongue, and inner cheek are most commonly involved in the mouth.
    • The foot lesions may also involve the lower calf region and rarely may appear on the buttocks.
    • Oral lesions are commonly associated with a sore throat, uncomfortable eating and drinking, and as a result, a diminished appetite. It is very rare for an infected child to become dehydrated due to oral discomfort.
Return to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Comment from: StarGazer421, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I already have lupus, so this hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) virus got confused up with my lupus. First day felt a mild fever and sore throat, second day severe sore throat, severe fever, after 2 days the rashes that itched and blisters formed, horrible. The pain is even in my fingertips and toes! It was going around in the DV (domestic violence) shelter and I didn't know it was contagious. I have never been through a situation like this, the place was not that clean. So I washed all bedding, bleached down stuff; I am miserable.

Comment from: Ayman, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 24

My 4 years old daughter got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). First day fever was 38.5 to 39, and she had a sore throat. The doctor said it is a sore throat infection and gave her antibiotic. Second day the fever was okay, but the rash appeared on her mouth and very little on hand and leg. The doctor said it is HFMD. Third day was the painful day. She was screaming and crying from the pain and itchy. The pain last for two days. The ice water is the best to cool her off. Fourth day, the pain was gone and from fourth day to day 15, the rash turned into blisters and then skin peeled off of her hands and feet. Her mouth was the first to return to normal. But her hands and feet kept having blisters every day and then after a few days the skin peel off. Usually they say the symptoms disappear totally after 7 to 10 days. But now we are in day 15 and her hands and feet skin steal peel off. I hope she will not go through the peel of the fingernail. It is a bad disease. I really hope that no one gets it.