Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms and signs of hand, foot, and mouth disease?

HFMD is most commonly an illness of the spring and fall seasons. Initial symptoms of mild fever (101 F-102 F) and malaise are followed within one or two days by a characteristic rash. Small (2 mm-3 mm) red spots that quickly develop into small blisters (vesicles) appear on the palms, soles, and oral cavity. The gums, tongue, and inner cheek are most commonly involved in the mouth. The foot lesions may also involve the lower calf region and rarely may appear on the buttocks. Oral lesions are commonly associated with a sore throat, uncomfortable eating and drinking, and as a result, a diminished appetite. It is very rare for an infected child to become dehydrated due to oral discomfort.

Return to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Comment from: Edna, Female (Patient) Published: January 15

The first symptoms of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) were nausea, terrible headache, and overwhelming tiredness. By the next day I had swollen glands, and a sore throat that felt like glass shards were in the back of my throat. After 3 to 4 days of this, I went to the doctor for a strep test and a recheck of thyroid and I had two small spots on my hand. I mentioned them to the doctor because they hurt. She said I probably had some kind of viral cold. When many more spots appeared on my hands by the next morning, I googled pictures of spots and found the blisters of HFM disease. I noticed they were also on the roof of my mouth and on my tongue. They have been getting worse for several days with my feet being the last place to get the blisters. This is my 8th day and blisters are still appearing though I feel more like I'm going to live. I also have some random blisters on arms and legs, a few below nostrils. This disease is rough, I hope there's a vaccine soon. Also, I have no idea where I picked this up since I'm retired and have not been around children during the incubation period. I will see my grandkids once the blisters have healed and am very worried about them getting this.

Comment from: DC_Lotus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

Oh my goodness, what is this hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)! My progression was as follows. Saturday morning, the fever started. We were in the middle of a blizzard in the DC area, and the entire region was crippled. By the time Sunday morning rolled around, the fever spiked to 103, and eventually received a terrifying reading of 105.5! I managed to get the fever to break, and as I was headed to the emergency room (ER) at around 7 pm on Sunday, the sore throat hit. I've had strep many times. But this was worse. It felt like strep's older, meaner step sister. I couldn't eat, and strep never did that. It burned constantly and felt like swallowing hot coals. The ER gave me Vicodin and an antibiotic, thinking a bad case of strep. Strep test ended up being negative. That night, into Monday morning, the awful blisters started. At first, they itched, I thought it was a reaction to the penicillin-based medicine. The doctor took one look at the blisters, and told me I had HFMD. She said only a few things in medicine cause that type of blistering, and due to my other symptoms, there it was. I spent the next few days in torment with this terrible virus. My hands itched so bad that the only way I could sleep was to super-dose myself with antihistamines, slather myself with Eucerin, and wear gloves over my hands. The feet didn't start until Wednesday, and now I have blisters between my toes. But mercifully, it is now Friday and my hands no longer itch. I await the skin/nail peeling with pride. This was war. That kind of looks like herpes.