Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms and signs of hand, foot, and mouth disease?

HFMD is most commonly an illness of the spring and fall seasons. Initial symptoms of mild fever (101 F-102 F) and malaise are followed within one or two days by a characteristic rash. Small (2 mm-3 mm) red spots that quickly develop into small blisters (vesicles) appear on the palms, soles, and oral cavity. The gums, tongue, and inner cheek are most commonly involved in the mouth. The foot lesions may also involve the lower calf region and rarely may appear on the buttocks. Oral lesions are commonly associated with a sore throat, uncomfortable eating and drinking, and as a result, a diminished appetite. It is very rare for an infected child to become dehydrated due to oral discomfort.

Return to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Comment from: D, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

With hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) I had swollen occipital lymph node on May 1, which got worse over week with itching and bumps around node. On May 6 to 8 I felt better. May 9 I had nausea, fever, and some aches. May 10 I had spots on hands and tiny itchy pimple by nose. May 10 night I had spots on feet, pain in hands. May 11 there was significant pain and worsening reds spots with some bigger bumps on hands, pain on soles and toes when walking, 20 red sores on chin, nose, forehead, and ear. May 12 same as May 11, fewer here, more there. Plunge hands and feet into ice water for immediate relief; use witch hazel on Q-tip on everything, and repeat several times, it works. I also used tea tree oil but witch hazel probably works better because of alcohol which dries out sores and helps contain spread. Plain alcohol would work but the witch hazel, especially ones with various oils like lemon probably help hold to skin longer and with aloe to soothe a bit. Thayers lemon wit aloe witch hazel is what I used; it's what I had in cupboard. You probably could gargle with witch hazel. Treat like poison ivy or chicken pox, drying it out is better than using creams. An old fashioned roll on, alcohol-base deodorant would probably help too, I used to do that for poison ivy. Benadryl and Tylenol didn't seem to help me much but Benadryl might help you sleep.

Comment from: Mock567, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had mild sore throat, no fever on Tuesday. On Wednesday sore throat got better but ulcers appeared on both sides on tongue and gums. On Thursday, a few red spots appeared on palms; painful but bearable. More ulcers on Friday, more red spots on palms, and the old ones became blisters. I discovered red spots on soles. Again painful but bearable. Eating became more challenging as ulcers became severe. Saturday, blisters on palms got better, no longer painful. Feet blisters started to itch. The way I walked was funny because I tried to avoid stepping on those blisters. Sunday, I could hardly eat even soft foods like porridge and cake because the small particles get into the ulcers. Good news, feet blisters got better. Monday, ulcers were slightly better. Worst thing of my hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) experience would be the ulcers. I googled HFMD on Wednesday and suspected I got it. The doctor I visited on Friday can't confirm my case as HFMD because I had no fever and no throat ulcers. The 2nd doctor I saw on Monday was quite determined after he saw ulcers in my throat. No medicine given to cure HFMD. I was only given with pain killer and oral disinfectant. I consider myself lucky as my condition is mild. Now I only hope that my baby wouldn't get it from me.