Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms and signs of hand, foot, and mouth disease?

HFMD is most commonly an illness of the spring and fall seasons. Initial symptoms of mild fever (101 F-102 F) and malaise are followed within one or two days by a characteristic rash. Small (2 mm-3 mm) red spots that quickly develop into small blisters (vesicles) appear on the palms, soles, and oral cavity. The gums, tongue, and inner cheek are most commonly involved in the mouth. The foot lesions may also involve the lower calf region and rarely may appear on the buttocks. Oral lesions are commonly associated with a sore throat, uncomfortable eating and drinking, and as a result, a diminished appetite. It is very rare for an infected child to become dehydrated due to oral discomfort.

Return to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Comment from: 43female, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My husband, children and I are getting over hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), likely the A6 variety, which we picked up in Hawaii. It starts with chills, progresses to a 103 fever which breaks in two days. Then for me, but not my children, little red rashes appeared fairly quickly along with white ulcers in the back of the throat and a few on the tip of my nose. Then came the burning, itching, and acid-burning feeling on my hands and feet. It was a nightmare for a few days. One of the days I could not walk on my feet or hold anything. Then the rash turned into what looked like giant thick callouses that are peeling off in giant, plastic bottle thick, huge patches. I fully expect that my nails will fall out next since there was so much pressure under them. Stay hydrated and see a doctor to rule out other things. Good luck.

Comment from: Nellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am on my 6th day of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). It started with what I thought was flu virus, aching badly, sore throat, earache, and shivering. I was shattered. By the 3rd day the symptoms had gone except sore throat. That night hands and feet started to itch and sting. Next day I had pin head blisters and rash on soles and palms; felt like walking and touching a bed of pins and needles. The only small relief was putting ice blocks under my feet. Strangely zinc and castor oil cream helped. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, itching is intense too. I wonder how long the blisters and rash last.