Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?

What are the symptoms and signs of hand foot and mouth disease?

HFM is most commonly an illness of the spring and fall seasons. Initial symptoms of mild fever (101 F-102 F) and malaise are followed within one or two days by a characteristic rash. Small (2 mm-3 mm) red spots that quickly develop into small blisters (vesicles) appear on the palms, soles, and oral cavity. The gums, tongue, and inner cheek are most commonly involved in the mouth. The foot lesions may also involve the lower calf region and rarely may appear on the buttocks. Oral lesions are commonly associated with a sore throat, difficulty eating and diminished appetite.

Return to Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

Comment from: sophieloo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am currently in the development stage of hand, foot, and mouth disease and I will explain my horrendous experience up until now. Day 1. I came home and felt very lethargic. I had pounding head, aching body, just feeling rubbish overall. I tucked myself into bed and hoped I would sleep it off over a couple of hours. I woke up shivering, yet covered top to toe in sweat. I felt like this all night with an excruciating headache and experienced hallucinations due to my fever. Day 2. I was not much better, I was again sweating yet shivering, general flu like symptoms. By the end of the day my temperature had begun to cool down and I started to feel a little better as the headache eased off. But then came my sore throat - pure agony! After getting my mum to look into my mouth we could see that the back of my throat had erupted into small ulcers / blisters! Day 3. (Where I am now) I've been to the doctors today with an extremely sore throat. He said because I have had no outbreak of blisters on my hands / feet then he cannot say I have hand foot and mouth, more like tonsillitis. I have had tonsillitis before and this is so much worse than that. About 2 hours ago I developed a very strange tingling sensation in my fingertips and my toes with very small red bumps underneath. Not raised, but definitely there. Quite tender to the touch. I will keep you updated if the lumps erupt into blisters, fingers crossed they stay well away!

Comment from: Wang, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

My 13-month son was diagnosed with scarlet fever last Friday and started on antibiotics. Then I spotted some rashes on his hands and feet later that day and thought they might be the symptom of scarlet fever. Then on Sunday night I got the first time over-the-night fever in my life and paracetamol didn"t work. By Monday afternoon the fever finally went away but I started to get a few rashes on the side of my finger, together with a sore throat. Next morning the rashes got worse and looked like tiny holes filled with fluid underneath my skin! I went to the doctor and confirmed for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). Now it"s Wednesday morning and it got even worse! I am almost certain that the first doctor has misdiagnosed my son and it wasn"t scarlet fever but HFMD. He is recovered now and the sand paper like rashes attributed to scarlet fever never appeared, only spots on his hands and feet. And I would definitely say the disease is more severe on adults then on infants! I can"t imagine how on earth my son could possibly endure the amount of pain and itchiness I am having now! By the way, I"m not using any medication and just sitting and waiting for it to self-limit.