Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

What are the symptoms and signs of hand, foot, and mouth disease?

HFMD is most commonly an illness of the spring and fall seasons. Initial symptoms of mild fever (101 F-102 F) and malaise are followed within one or two days by a characteristic rash. Small (2 mm-3 mm) red spots that quickly develop into small blisters (vesicles) appear on the palms, soles, and oral cavity. The gums, tongue, and inner cheek are most commonly involved in the mouth. The foot lesions may also involve the lower calf region and rarely may appear on the buttocks. Oral lesions are commonly associated with a sore throat, uncomfortable eating and drinking, and as a result, a diminished appetite. It is very rare for an infected child to become dehydrated due to oral discomfort.

Return to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Comment from: Denisep, Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My bout with hand, foot and mouth (HFM) disease started with a very sore throat that lasted 3 days. On the second day I had a few red spots on the palm of hand. I got spots on both hands and both sides, ear lobes, around my mouth and in my mouth, palate and tongue. I have had shingles before and this was worse. The pain, itching and swelling was extreme. I felt like I'd lose my mind. Today is day 7, and I still have spots and swelling. My finger tips are so swollen they are overlapping my nails. I think they will peel. The tips are so swollen I can't use my smartphone!

Comment from: saxylizard, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I contracted hand, foot, and mouth disease HFMD in January of 2015 from a coworker (who got it from her kid) and am still dealing with the side effects. Two fingernails and one toe nail (that I've found thus far) are falling off having separated from the nail bed. It started falling off in March and it's now May! This disease just keeps on going.