Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

What are the symptoms and signs of hand, foot, and mouth disease?

HFMD is most commonly an illness of the spring and fall seasons. Initial symptoms of mild fever (101 F-102 F) and malaise are followed within one or two days by a characteristic rash. Small (2 mm-3 mm) red spots that quickly develop into small blisters (vesicles) appear on the palms, soles, and oral cavity. The gums, tongue, and inner cheek are most commonly involved in the mouth. The foot lesions may also involve the lower calf region and rarely may appear on the buttocks. Oral lesions are commonly associated with a sore throat, uncomfortable eating and drinking, and as a result, a diminished appetite. It is very rare for an infected child to become dehydrated due to oral discomfort.

Return to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Comment from: Michel, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I am 39 years old. My wife got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) in October and so did I about 2 weeks later. She had it worse than me, with blisters around mouth, fingers and feet and only little bit sore throat. When I got it, I got headache and high fever (39 Celsius/102.2 F) but as I see the fever as a help against the virus I did not take any drugs to put it down but took cold showers every 30 to 60 minutes. Headache was terrible though! This was for about 2 days, then I started to get this tickling in the fingers and feet, very annoying. Next day the red blisters started on my feet, only very few on the hands, nothing on face, and no sore throat at all. Itching was only a little. There was a little pain while walking but skin on feet felt very dry/tight. About 1 week later I felt better, but I am not sure if it is exactly since this disease but I have been feeling very tired for 4 months already! Now on my vacation (4 months after this disease) and I have again blisters on my feet that look exactly the same, I got the itching and little pain too and my hands and feet also feel a little bit dry/tight. I am not sure if it is a new virus (there are several) and by really bad luck I got another form or if it is a relapse! But it is getting really frustrating with HFMD!

Comment from: Cegiff, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My 19 year old daughter got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) while at college. Very healthy girl with no direct contact with children. This has been miserable. She started with sores on her mouth. Initially she was treated for staph infection but when the fever hit on day 2 we took her to the pediatrician. The doctor immediately diagnosed her with HFMD. She had a fever for 5 days averaging 102.5 F. The sores on her mouth turned to ulcers or lesions and spread to her cheeks and nose. She had no internal mouth sores but did have a sore throat, joint pain and overall body ache. Also no sores or rash on hands and feet. This has been absolutely miserable for her. The fever is over and most sores are now open wounds seeping and bloody in appearance. Her face is in pain and she still has a headache on day 8. We have been using Redmond clay for wound healing and that seems to help. According to the pediatrician's office some of the new strains of HFMD are on the face only. Hoping this ends soon and that a vaccine is found to prevent this.