Infertility - Cause

What is the cause of your infertility?

Please select the black square:

What causes infertility in women?

Most cases of female infertility are caused by problems with ovulation. Without ovulation, there are no eggs to be fertilized. Some signs that a woman is not ovulating normally include irregular or absent menstrual periods.

Ovulation problems are often caused by polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). PCOS is a hormone imbalance problem which can interfere with normal ovulation. PCOS is the most common cause of female infertility. Primary ovarian insufficiency (POI) is another cause of ovulation problems. POI occurs when a woman's ovaries stop working normally before she is 40. POI is not the same as early menopause.

Less common causes of fertility problems in women include:

• blocked Fallopian tubes due to pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, or surgery for an ectopic pregnancy

• physical problems with the uterus

• uterine fibroids, which are non-cancerous clumps of tissue and muscle on the walls of the uterus.
Return to Infertility

Comment from: KB, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My being unable to conceive is related to my partner's low sperm count. After doing a lot of tests he is taking infertility pills to assist in improving his sperm count. Never give up in life, everything happens for a reason.

Comment from: Lizzy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

Approximately 10 years ago I had corrective surgery for a prolapsed uterus. Since then I have suffered severe incontinence. Doctors keep insisting that it is due to childbirth but my children were all in their late 30s to early 40s (now all in mid-40s) when the problem first occurred and it seems a large coincidence that the incontinence didn't start until after the prolapse surgery. I have been prescribed two different kinds of medication to reduce the incontinence, both of which caused side effects so they had to be discontinued. I have been doing pelvic floor exercises for years and they haven't helped. I have no other health problems but consultants will not offer surgery. I know a woman who had the same problem as myself, she had surgery 5 years ago and has had no problems since. She is approximately the same age as myself and now has her life back but I am still having to live with this problem.