Infertility - Cause

What is the cause of your infertility?

What causes infertility in women?

Most cases of female infertility are caused by problems with ovulation. Without ovulation, there are no eggs to be fertilized. Some signs that a woman is not ovulating normally include irregular or absent menstrual periods.

Ovulation problems are often caused by polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). PCOS is a hormone imbalance problem which can interfere with normal ovulation. PCOS is the most common cause of female infertility. Primary ovarian insufficiency (POI) is another cause of ovulation problems. POI occurs when a woman's ovaries stop working normally before she is 40. POI is not the same as early menopause.

Less common causes of fertility problems in women include:

• blocked Fallopian tubes due to pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, or surgery for an ectopic pregnancy

• physical problems with the uterus

• uterine fibroids, which are non-cancerous clumps of tissue and muscle on the walls of the uterus.
Return to Infertility

Comment from: lili, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a 25 years old lady, I have been trying to get pregnant for about 8 years now. I don't know what to take anymore. I have a 26 days cycle and I menstruate for 5 days, my blood has a lot of clots. I have been pregnant in 2007 which is 8 years back and I did an abortion because I was at school. Since then I can't conceive, I went to doctors but I can"t seem to be getting any help.

Comment from: London gal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was told by NHS (National Health Service) doctors that my infertility was unexplained. I had all the tests taken and everything was fine, so we put it down to stress. This lasted over a period of 3 years between blood tests, Hyspan angiogram, internal scans and Clomid trial for 6 months. There was nothing wrong found. I had laparoscopy done privately at a hospital as was suggested and they found nothing wrong. Then they had some expensive blood tests done in a private clinic to check for "natural killer cells" and I came up positive! This is when your white blood cells or your immune system is overactive and rejects anything in your body that is foreign. A fetus has your partner's DNA as well, so does not recognize it and expels it from the body! I am now having treatment to calm down my immunity.