Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

What are shoulder bursitis symptoms and signs? How is shoulder bursitis diagnosed?

Bursitis is typically identified by localized pain or swelling, tenderness, and pain with motion of the tissues in the affected area. X-ray testing can sometimes detect calcifications in the bursa when bursitis has been chronic or recurrent. MRI scanning (magnetic resonance imaging) can also define bursitis. Shoulder bursitis is often accompanied by tendinitis of tendons adjacent to the affected bursa in the shoulder. Shoulder bursitis causes focal tenderness of the inflamed tissues. It can also cause a "pinching" pain when the elbow is moved away from the body, referred to as an "impingement" sign.

Return to Shoulder Bursitis

Comment from: Frenchie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My pain is weird. I have bursitis in my right shoulder. I am totally pain free until I move my arm or extend it. At night is the worst. I can wake up paralyzed in pain, and it takes all my strength and courage to move my shoulder. It feels like someone is stabbing me with a hot knife. After a few rotations and shaking off, pain goes away. The pattern happens 4 to 5 times a night.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an MRI yesterday on my right shoulder that showed I have bursitis. My pain happens when I raise my arm, reach across my body, reach back and is very bad and wakes me up several times a night. I also have pain that shoots down my arm all the way to my last two fingers sometimes. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and is sending me to physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks. Hopefully this will help. The steroid shot made it feel better for a while yesterday, but pain is back and I still was woken several times last night.