Shoulder Bursitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your shoulder bursitis?

Please select the black triangle:

What are shoulder bursitis symptoms and signs? How is shoulder bursitis diagnosed?

Bursitis is typically identified by localized pain or swelling, tenderness, and pain with motion of the tissues in the affected area. X-ray testing can sometimes detect calcifications in the bursa when bursitis has been chronic or recurrent. MRI scanning (magnetic resonance imaging) can also define bursitis. Shoulder bursitis is often accompanied by tendinitis of tendons adjacent to the affected bursa in the shoulder. Shoulder bursitis causes focal tenderness of the inflamed tissues. It can also cause a "pinching" pain when the elbow is moved away from the body, referred to as an "impingement" sign.

Return to Shoulder Bursitis

Comment from: 40 again, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had severe pain from spondylosis in either the right or left hip area to the point I could not walk or would limp to the point I could not work. I went to chiropractic treatment as I had trouble getting up and down, and back pain. I am a paratransit bus driver and normally very active, this really stopped me to the point I was in constant pain. I was sent to a back specialist and had a mid, bilateral block. Wow, I feel 100 percent better now. Later he will burn the nerves in this area for what should help me to be pain free. This procedure of the block was done 2 days ago.

Comment from: mary sub, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had 3 months of physical therapy for knee replacement that went very well. Two days after release from therapy, I woke up to excruciating pain in shoulder and biceps. I don't think I slept wrong and have been doing exercises. I had 2 massages for shoulder bursitis, first one was great, second one didn't do deep massage. I can't sleep through the night, because of sleeping on side; it is hard to sleep on back. Shoulder and arms quit horrible pain around 1 in afternoon. I am exercising, but have been putting up with this and sometimes it hurts so bad I could cry. It wakes me up all through the night, so now I not only hurt, but am worn out.