LASIK Eye Surgery - Experience

Please describe your recovery after LASIK eye surgery.

Please select the white circle:

What is LASIK?

LASIK stands for laser in situ keratomileusis, which means using a laser underneath a corneal flap (in situ) to reshape the cornea (keratomileusis). This procedure utilizes a highly specialized laser (excimer laser) designed to treat refractive errors, improve vision, and reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses. This laser procedure alters the shape of the cornea, which is the transparent front covering of the eye. Though the excimer laser had been used for many years before, the development of LASIK is generally credited to Ioannis Pallikaris from Greece around 1991.

Return to LASIK Eye Surgery

Comment from: manish, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I got LASIK done and I have lost most of the vision post LASIK. I am as good as a blind person with light sensitivity, glare, halos and star bursts. And I have been gifted with contrast loss and dry eye. I was not checked properly before the surgery and the LASIK itself was a disaster; other surgeons say that my measurements and procedure was not correct. And these issues seem permanent.

Comment from: Gina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had Lasik eye surgery at age 45. I wore thick glasses since age 6. I wore contacts with no problems. I was quite traumatized by the procedure, though all went well. I didn"t sleep a wink for 2 days. (I was not given any kind of oral sedative pre-operation, just lots of eye drops.) One eye was under-corrected to allow for close focus. That weaker eye did not take well to the Lasik. I got a detached retina a year later, other problems since then. Now I have swelling in the retina. I have been on drops over a year. It got better, then worse. The other eye is doing well. I would not have Lasik, if I could do it again.