Radiculopathy - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with radiculopathy?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of radiculopathy?

The symptoms of radiculopathy depend on which nerves are affected. The nerves exiting from the neck (cervical spine) control the muscles of the neck and arms and supply sensation there. The nerves from the middle portion of the back (thoracic spine) control the muscles of the chest and abdomen and supply sensation there. The nerves from the lower back (lumbar spine) control the muscles of the buttocks and legs and supply sensation there.

The most common symptoms of radiculopathy are pain, numbness, and tingling in the arms or legs. It is common for patients to also have localized neck or back pain as well. Lumbar radiculopathy that causes pain that radiates down a lower extremity is commonly referred to as sciatica. Thoracic radiculopathy causes pain from the middle back that travels around to the chest. It is often mistaken for shingles.

Some patients develop a hypersensitivity to light touch that feels painful in the area involved. Less commonly, patients can develop weakness in the muscles controlled by the affected nerves. This can indicate nerve damage.

Return to Radiculopathy

Comment from: Raj, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 13

I don't know really when rheumatoid arthritis (RA) got activated in me. But as I remember at the age of 10 may be. It has still been giving me pains, but not continuously. I will be fine for some years, but suddenly early in the morning I have a little pain, later slowly, day to day the pain increases. It takes off my happiness. I do exercise every day, but once pain starts and stiffness in joints, I can't. As I heard there is no treatment for this, but with willpower I will kill the pain. Since 6months I got rheumatic arm pain, don't know, how to make my arm movements. It has been so many years I feel, since I made my arm movements in all directions. It pains a lot, where I haven't seen this pain in my 20 years of RA. My suggestion would be, fight against it with exercise and food control.

Comment from: anon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

My husband had a battery of tests, one of them EKG. The next morning he got up and showed me a big red swelling on his chest where the lead had been put on the day before. I realized there was a tick in the middle and could not get it out as it was deeply embedded. They had used a razor to remove the hair in that spot and the tick found it and he had plenty of time to dig in. The doctor at a walk-in clinic removed the tick and gave him an antibiotic. Since this happened in January we were not expecting to see ticks.