Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

What are symptoms and signs of a torn meniscus?

Some people with a torn meniscus know exactly when they hurt their knee. There may be acute onset of pain and the patient may actually hear or feel a pop in their knee. As with any injury, there is an inflammatory response, including pain and swelling. The swelling within the knee joint from a torn meniscus usually takes a few hours to develop. Depending upon the amount of pain and fluid accumulation, the knee may become difficult to move. When fluid accumulates, it may be difficult and painful to fully extend or straighten the knee.

In some situations, the amount of swelling may not necessarily be enough to notice. Sometimes, the patient isn't aware of the initial injury but starts complaining of symptoms that develop later.

After the injury, the knee joint irritation may gradually settle down and feel relatively normal as the initial inflammatory response resolves. However, other symptoms may develop over time, including any or all of the following:

• Pain with running or walking longer distances
  • Intermittent swelling of the knee joint: Many times, the knee with a torn meniscus feels "tight."
  • Popping, especially when climbing up or down stairs
  • Giving way or buckling (the sensation that the knee is unstable and a sense that the knee will give way): Less commonly, the knee actually will give way and cause the patient to fall.
  • Locking (a mechanical block where the knee cannot be fully extended or straightened): This occurs when a piece of torn meniscus folds on itself and blocks full range of motion of the knee joint. The knee gets "stuck," usually flexed between 15 and 30 degrees and cannot bend or straighten from that position.

Return to Torn Meniscus

Comment from: Petunia2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I don't know yet what causes my cold hands and feet. It is different in that my feet and hands get extremely cold sensation and I can be sitting in my warm house. Sometimes they are cold in the warmer months as well. I am not diabetic, I believe I have some underlying vascular disorder. I have noticed some changes in my nails, nail color and nail shape.

Comment from: Supportn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have been battling an infestation of head lice for over a month now. The first symptoms that drew my attention was an itchy rash on my wrist. While this is not 'prime lice real estate' it made me aware that that is where my son sometimes rests his head. I checked his head, and yes, he had them. He did not have any symptoms, but apparently I experience contact dermatitis from this condition. I cut both our hair very short and washed everything, but they are still around. I see the feces around my bathroom sink, and now has escalated to the point of depression (which brings me to write of this here). My skin is now really sensitive, as is my patience, itchy. I am fatigued, emotionally drained, and I may be having anxiety attacks. I feel traumatized because now I don't even want to go outside. I had no idea that an experience of this nature would have so many adverse effects on my life. I went to a clinic, and the doctor asked if I had mental health issues. If I didn't then, I guess I do now. I am now depressed by having these bugs dominating my time and attention. It has been more than 2 months and we are still dealing with this condition.