Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Please select the white circle:

What is an electromyogram?

An electromyogram (EMG) is a test that is used to record the electrical activity of muscles. When muscles are active, they produce an electrical current. This current is usually proportional to the level of the muscle activity. An EMG is also referred to as a myogram.

EMGs can be used to detect abnormal electrical activity of muscle that can occur in many diseases and conditions, including muscular dystrophy, inflammation of muscles, pinched nerves, peripheral nerve damage (damage to nerves in the arms and legs), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), myasthenia gravis, disc herniation, and others.

Return to Electromyogram (EMG)

Comment from: Hater, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

I had an electromyogram (EMG) today. Pure Torture! It was necessary due to a knee injury. The needles hurt! The shock waves were not bad. The test ended with needles in my middle back on each side of my spine. Oh my goodness, never again! I actually cried! Five hours later my back really hurts. If anyone is going to have this done, get specific answers about what you will experience with this test, and you want to take something for pain prior to your test. I was not told correctly about what I was going to experience.

Comment from: cncxman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I got injured by stepping on a plastic chain with my left heel going forwards and my left leg staying put, this caused me to do the splits and falling on my back. The doctor sent me to do an electromyogram (EMG). I went to my appointment without knowing what an EMG is. I do know now. It is a series of electrical shots on various part of my leg increasing in intensity. It started feeling like small pricks to a full size torture shot lasting about 1/2 a second. This was very painful to me and I screamed every time she did the third or fourth intensity levels. It was repeated on about 5 areas of my leg. Once she finished, the doctor inserted what felt like a needle with an electric shock but this did not hurt as much. I was glad when it was over. Pain level was 9 out of 10.