Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Please select the white circle:

What is an electromyogram?

An electromyogram (EMG) is a test that is used to record the electrical activity of muscles. When muscles are active, they produce an electrical current. This current is usually proportional to the level of the muscle activity. An EMG is also referred to as a myogram.

EMGs can be used to detect abnormal electrical activity of muscle that can occur in many diseases and conditions, including muscular dystrophy, inflammation of muscles, pinched nerves, peripheral nerve damage (damage to nerves in the arms and legs), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), myasthenia gravis, disc herniation, and others.

Return to Electromyogram (EMG)

Comment from: mrchester, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had an electromyogram and needle test done yesterday and after reading other patients' experiences I was dreading it. Mine were carried out on my legs and arms and I can honestly say apart from a few strong twinges, it was painless. I did not even feel the needle going in. I feel a bit sore today and have slight bruising. I would not be worried if I had to have another one done. Everyone is different, I know, but it definitely was not painful

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an electromyogram on my legs yesterday. The neurologist prescribed one 0.5 Xanax for anxiety. I did not take it. Shocks were quick, once in a while a foot jerked but not painful. It feels like a TENS machine. Regarding the needles, I did not feel at all, except when targeting those painful muscle areas. My neurologist kept me preoccupied with conversation about our love of cooking. Overall, a painful experience was highly overrated. No bruising, no swelling, no bleeding. And may I add I take Plavix and had no reaction whatsoever!