Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Please select the white circle:

What are Coxsackie virus infection signs and symptoms?

The most frequent signs and symptoms of Coxsackie viral infections start with fever, sore throat, malaise (feeling tired), and a poor appetite. This incubation period lasts about one to two days. Sore areas in the mouth develop in about a day or two after the initial fever and develop into small blisters that often ulcerate. Many infected people (usually children 10 years of age and younger) go on to develop a rash that itches on the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet. Other areas such as the buttocks and genitals may be involved. These symptoms usually last about seven to 10 days and the person recovers completely. The individuals are most contagious for about a week after symptoms begin, but because the virus can be shed by the infected individual sometimes for weeks after the symptoms have gone away, the person may be mildly contagious for several weeks. The last two references show pictures of the blisters.

Infrequently, the infection may result in temporary fingernail or toenail loss (termed onychomadesis). Rarely, the disease may progress to cause viral meningitis (headache, stiff neck), myocarditis (heart muscle infection), pericarditis (inflammation/fluid collection of the tissue surrounding the heart), or encephalitis (brain swelling).

Return to Coxsackie Virus

Comment from: mcbarb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I just turned 65. I became short of breath one day, the next day ended up hospitalized with fevers to 103.5F. I am currently being treated with Remicade monthly infusions for severe rheumatoid arthritis. I had the infusion the previous week. About 3 weeks before onset of symptoms I had had a routine colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. I had diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disorder and GERD. I officially tested positive for Coxsackie B4 virus after perhaps a month of hospitalization and illness. I was treated in the hospital from just before Thanksgiving 2012 to January 21, 2013. Twice I was septic and received very strong IV antibiotics. I developed severe yeast infection of my bottom, cold sores from nose to lips, and a virulent strain of C Difficile. I lost 34 pounds. I was operated on to cut window into pericardium to alleviate fluid buildup in pericardium, and chest tubes for severe chest fluid buildup. I continued to run fevers from Nov 20th 2012 to Mar. 2012. Recovery and reconditioning has been ongoing.

Comment from: Karisa27, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 24 years old. It is 2 weeks before Christmas and I wake up with blisters all over my hands. It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced especially because I have chronic eczema on top of the sores! I couldn't move my hands. I went to 5 different doctors In 2 days. Finally they tell me it is Coxsackie. I had no fever and just a few red sores in my mouth that lasted 3 days.

Stay Informed!