Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Please select the white circle:

What are coxsackie virus infection signs and symptoms?

The most frequent signs and symptoms of coxsackie viral infections are initially fever, a poor appetite, and respiratory illness, including sore throat, cough, and malaise (feeling tired). This incubation period lasts about one to two days. Sore areas in the mouth develop in about a day or two after the initial fever and develop into small blisters that often ulcerate. Many infected people (usually children 10 years of age and younger) go on to develop a rash that itches on the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet. Other areas such as the buttocks and genitals may be involved. Some patients develop conjunctivitis. These symptoms usually last about seven to 10 days, and the person usually recovers completely. The individuals are most contagious for about a week after symptoms begin, but because the virus can be shed by the infected individual sometimes for weeks after the symptoms have gone away, the person may be mildly contagious for several weeks.

Picture of characteristic mouth sores of hand foot and mouth disease
Picture of characteristic mouth sores of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)
Picture of characteristic rash and blisters of hand foot and mouth disease
Picture of characteristic rash and blisters of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)

Infrequently, the infection may result in temporary fingernail or toenail loss (termed onychomadesis) and chest or abdominal muscle pain. Rarely, the disease may progress to cause viral meningitis (headache, stiff neck), myocarditis (heart muscle infection), pericarditis (inflammation/fluid collection of the tissue surrounding the heart), or encephalitis (brain inflammation).

Infection with EV-71 results in a higher incidence of neurologic involvement with symptoms such as a polio-like syndrome, meningitis, encephalitis, Guillain-Barré syndrome, and/or ataxia.

Return to Coxsackie Virus

Comment from: TXH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I am a 68 year old female. In February, 2014, I became ill with what I thought was flu. I had severe headache, fever, and aches. I got two sores in my mouth that I thought were normal ulcers. It all lasted a week, but I still had the fatigue and my legs above my knees broke out with large red dots under the skin, but no itching. I went to several doctors who said it was vasculitis. I continued to have severe fatigue. I have Sjogren's syndrome which does cause fatigue, which I have had over 20 years, but this is more severe. In September 2014 I had another bout and fever went up to 103. I have had night sweats, shortness of breath and chest pain. My doctor sent me to an infectious disease doctor because I had been bitten by mosquitoes and she thought I had been bitten by a tick. After many blood tests, I was found to have Coxsackie B Type 4 virus. I still have severe fatigue and now have severe anemia that will have to be treated by my primary doctor. The virus has no treatment, has to run its course which normally is about 2 weeks. Doctor said I got it from mosquitoes but you can get it many ways I am learning, and it can cause damage to your heart. I have been fortunate not to have some of the severe symptoms some of you have.

Comment from: Squirrelgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I contracted the Coxsackie virus about 6 weeks ago. I had a raging sore throat that was persistent 24 hours a day. Swallowing was torture. Once I started taking Advil regularly, that helped. But since Advil would last exactly 4 hours, I would wake in the middle of the night from the pain. I also developed conjunctivitis in both eyes, which dribbled day and night, and lasted a week (that infection was resolved with antibiotic eye drops). I also had fever on and off. In the 3 weeks since I recovered, I still get a sore throat from time to time. I can't be sure whether this is because the virus is still in me, or if this sore throat is unrelated, like from a regular cold or allergies.