Amyloidosis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with amyloidosis?

Please select the black triangle:

What are amyloidosis symptoms and signs?

Symptoms in patients with amyloidosis result from abnormal functioning of the particular organs involved. There might be no symptoms until the disease is relatively advanced. The heart, kidneys, liver, bowels, skin, nerves, joints, and lungs can be affected. As a result, symptoms and signs are vague and can include fatigue, shortness of breath, weight loss, lack of appetite, numbness, tingling, carpal tunnel syndrome, weakness, hearing loss, enlarged tongue, bruising, and swelling of hands and feet. Amyloidosis in these organs leads to cardiomyopathy, heart failure, peripheral neuropathy, arthritis, malabsorption, diarrhea, and liver damage and failure. Amyloidosis affecting the kidney leads to "nephrotic syndrome," which is characterized by severe loss of protein in the urine and swelling of the extremities.

Return to Amyloidosis

Comment from: mimi, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 14

My dad was recently diagnosed with amyloidosis. For the past year or two he has had shoulder pain, leg/knee pain, fatigue, and spells of sweating, dizziness, rapid heartbeat. He was diagnosed with carpal tunnel a few years ago in both hands. He had surgery in one and has no more pain, but he still has numbness in his fingers. He was a farmer so he has always been very active. He gives out quickly now and is short of breath a lot. He still enjoys gardening and keeps a chair nearby so he can rest when he begins to feel weak and short of breath. He has been placed on a no- salt, low fat diet and was told to exercise. He is not on any medication for this other than aspirin. The doctors say there isn't anything that can be done for him. Interestingly, his brother died from multiple myeloma four years ago.

Comment from: oldkarl, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I have made a list of the symptoms/markers of my amyloidosis. I read the literature, and any which are mentioned, and I have or have had at some point, I add them to the list. My list is now at Number 44, and counting. It seems the easiest to notice are heart failure, frothy urine, pain in the chest near the nipples, shortness of breath, and physical confusion. I give this list to my MD, and it really seems to help. Some of them apart from those mentioned above are protein in kidney and urine, enlargement of liver, pancreas, thyroid, parathyroid, kidney, lung, heart, and tongue, lung nodules, esophagus pain and GERD, atrial fibrillation, tachycardia, neuropathy and weakness in limbs, anemia and fatigue, diverticulosis and clay-colored stools, Sjogren's syndrome, ankylosing spondylitis and rheumatoid arthritis. In 2014 I experienced severe pulmonary problems, altered consciousness, and chronic cardiac and kidney failure. I have heard heart artery and capillary plugs, coronary bypass and stents prior to that.