E. Coli - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your E. coli infection?

Please select the black square:

25 symptoms of E. coli0157:H7 infection

Early symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 infection

The early or initial symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 infections usually appear about three to five (though occasionally in as few as one day or as many as 10 days) after a person ingests the bacteria; the symptoms include:

1. Nausea
  2. Vomiting
  3. Stomach cramps
  4. Diarrhea that often is bloody
  5. Fever of about 100 F to 101 F (37.7 C to 38.3 C)
  6. Malaise
  7. Loss of appetite
  8. Mild dehydration

These symptoms can be seen in infected children and adults.

Later symptoms E. coli  O157:H7 infections

The majority of people (especially normal adults) that are infected resolve the infection without antibiotics in about five to seven days. However, some people (about 10% of people infected and especially children under the age of 5 and the elderly) develop more severe signs and symptoms, and these people usually require hospitalization and aggressive treatment. These patients develop the usual early symptoms listed above, but do not resolve the infection. They develop symptoms that last longer (at least a week) and, if not treated promptly, the infection may lead to disability or death.

Later or late symptoms of E. coli infections may include some of the following symptoms:

1. Hemorrhagic diarrhea (large amounts of blood in the stools)
  2. Anemia
  14. Excessive bleeding
  15. Seizures
  16. Mental changes
  17. Death

These symptoms or complications fall into three main categories:

1. Hemorrhagic (bloody) diarrhea: Hemorrhagic (bloody) diarrhea is defined as an increased amount of blood in the diarrheal stool that does not seem to decrease over time and usually is accompanied by severe abdominal pain. Although this may resolve within a week, some individuals can develop anemia and dehydration that can cause death.
  2. Hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS): Hemolytic-uremic syndrome symptoms of pallor (due to anemia), fever, bruising or nosebleeds (due to destruction of blood platelets that are needed for blood to clot), fatigue, shortness of breath, swelling of the body, especially hands and feet, jaundice, and reduced flow of urine may be seen. HUS symptoms usually develop about 7 to 10 days after the initial diarrhea begins. HUS is the most common cause of kidney failure in children; children under 10 years old are the most likely to develop HUS. E. coli 0157:H7 produces toxins that damage the kidneys and destroys platelets that can lead to kidney failure, excessive bleeding, seizures or death.
  3. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP): Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura is caused by the loss of platelets; however, the symptoms that occur are somewhat different and occur mainly in the elderly. The symptoms are fever, weakness, easy, rapid or "spontaneous" bruising, kidney failure, and mental impairment that can rapidly progress to organ failures and death. Until the 1980's, TTP was considered a fatal disease, but since the 1980's, plasma exchange and infusion techniques have reduced the death rate in TTP patients to about 10%.

For most people (about 90%), the E. coli 0157:H7 infection clears and a good outcome or prognosis occurs. However, if any of the above mentioned complications occur, the prognosis may range from good to poor. The variable prognosis depends on the severity of the complication, the rapidity of diagnosis and treatment, the response of the individual to adequate treatment and the overall health of the individual. Children and the elderly are at higher risk for adverse outcomes.

Strains of E. coli 0157:H7 are mainly known to produce gastrointestinal symptoms; there are only a few reports of such strains causing urinary tract infections.

Return to E. coli (0157:H7)

Comment from: JG56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was born in 1956, with deep vein thrombosis in my left knee area. Severe swelling occurred when I became active, consequently, I wore Ace bandages to school/play, and was miserable with throbbing pain at night. At age 6, I had surgery for phlebitis which involved cutting around the knee cap area and folding that skin back, thus allowing the doctor access to the large group of connected veins which pooled there under the knee cap area. The surgery was a success. I've had normal growth in my leg (some doctors warned I would not) and have yet to develop arthritis from trauma to that knee.

Comment from: kim, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I got blood clots in 2010, and thought I was having a heart attack. It turned out I had clots in both my lungs. I went home and broke my hip, and ended back in the hospital again. They had to put a filter in me so no clots would get to my heart. Now 6 years later I felt really sick and ended up passing out, and called 911. Turned out to be blood clots in both my legs. They got so big, I couldn't walk, and it felt like I was walking on sponges. My feet swelled up also, and no feeling in my feet! Nobody knows why I keep getting these clots. I am getting tired of the blood test every week. My arm has been hurting me since I came home and I asked if it was a clot. I was told you can't get clots in your arm. Now I read this eMedicineHealth and there are people with clots in their arms.