Dental Crowns - Pain

Did you experience pain after getting a dental crown?

Is there pain associated with getting a dental crown?

The tooth being restored is numbed so that it isn't painful during the crown preparation. This requires a shot in the gums of lidocaine or another local anesthetic. After the procedure is over and the anesthesia has worn off, the patient may feel some sensitivity with the temporary crown or some soreness in the gums around the tooth. The pain is very minimal though and shouldn't last long.

Return to Dental Crowns

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have had 9 crowns put on my teeth over the years by 3 different dentists. The first 5 were put on by the same dentist. There have been no problems with them. The oldest were put on 37 years ago. I have had 2 root canals in the last 10 years. The root canals were successful, but when the dentist put the crown on, she broke the root and I lost both of those teeth. My newest ones were put on normal teeth with no root canal, 8 months ago. One is still fine and the other one, which was milled in the dentist office just fell off last month. She glued it back on and last night it fell off again. Today she made a new cap and I just hope it stays. I only had pain after getting a dental crown when the crown fit incorrectly or when the dentist damaged the root installing the crown. My feeling is that the success of the root canal and/or cap depends on the skill of the dentist.

Comment from: NoMoDentist, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Temporary crown was better than the permanent. I had permanent crown put on yesterday. It hurt the whole time it was being fitted. I feel like I have been hit in the mouth today. I was told that it could be sensitive for a while. Next time, I am finding a dentist who will pull out the tooth. The pain is ridiculous.