Swallowing - Cause

What was the cause of your swallowing problems?

What causes dysphagia?

As discussed previously, there are many causes of dysphagia. For convenience, causes of dysphagia can be classified into two groups;

1. oropharyngeal (meaning that the cause is a problem in the mouth or pharynx) and
  2. esophageal.

Causes also can be classified differently into several groups.

Return to Dysphagia

Comment from: Velvetss24, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Over the last ten years I have been having problems while eating. It happened very infrequently at first but as of late it is happening several times a week. It begins with difficulty swallowing followed by an inability to catch my breath. I begin to have symptoms of hiccups, but still have a hard time catching my breath. Then my mouth fills up with saliva and I have to vomit. The food is stuck in my throat where an Adams apple would be if I were a man. I have tried to narrow it down to a type of food, thinking maybe I am having an allergic reaction to something but it is not just one food and it is not all of the time. I thought it was nerves, but I really don't have anything to be nervous about. I have had several test in the past drinking a milky substance. This is very embarrassing to run out of the room gasping for air and holding in the vomit not to mention puking in restaurant bathrooms.

Comment from: Ernie J, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My swallowing problems started after lung surgery. The breathing tube was left in for a full 24 hours. I woke up several times and asked (in writing) that it be removed. The next morning, it was removed and I have been experiencing difficulty in swallowing ever since.

Stay Informed!