Anal Cancer - Treatments

What treatments have you received for anal cancer?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for anal cancer?

Anal cancer is treated with a variety of therapies including surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, or a combination of these.

Return to Anal Cancer

Comment from: X, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I thought I had hemorrhoids for months; 3 doctors looked at it and agreed. I took steroids for months and it did not go away. I went to the hospital where an older doctor did an exam and also thought were hemorrhoids until he called me back next day saying he thought this might be a type of cancer. I went to a dermatologist for an exam and he did a biopsy to be sure, but also thought where hemorrhoids. He called me few days later and said it was squamous cell carcinoma, invasive! What a shock! My dermatologist got me a great oncology consultant and test showed cancer had not spread to other parts of the body though I had this cancer for months. Within a week I was starting radiation treatment for 34 days, and chemotherapy for 5 days in the beginning and 5 days in the end, wearing the chemotherapy fanny pack which was great in that I could go about a normal life. Soon though the treatment led to horrible pain and bowel movements that hit you at the strangest time even on the radiation bed. Boy, this cancer is nothing but issue. As I studied this cancer and after talking with all the doctors who were treating me I found out I was one the few men who was not gay or ever had been or ever had anal sex. I did however use the tanning bed for over 25 years for my psoriasis. It worked great on psoriasis but caused my cancer. Anal Cancer after care is horrible; you need to stay by the bathroom. The pain from the radiation on your buttocks, testicles, and groin is horrible; only high dose of morphine stops the pain. I also got a nasty blood clot along the way from the PIC line in my arm and also now on blood thinners for 3 months. I have not finished my treatments and had a wonderful team helping me. I will have PET scan in 2 months to make sure it is gone!