Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

What are cellulitis symptoms and signs?

Cellulitis usually begins as a small area of tenderness, swelling, and redness that spreads to adjacent skin. As this red area begins to enlarge, the affected person may develop a fever, sometimes with chills and sweats, tenderness, and swollen lymph nodes ("swollen glands") near the area of infected skin.

Return to Cellulitis

Comment from: vjc1020, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 24

My 17 year old daughter started with a small lesion that looked like the picture provided for cellulitis. I rinsed it with peroxide and put Neosporin on it with a Band-Aid. A few days later it looked like it is drying out and more brownish instead of reddish. Then all of a sudden there are 4 small additional lesions near the original one (on the back of her arm). We went to the doctor who prescribed doxycycline 100 mg which she has taken 3 tablets so far. Now there is a new one that has formed on the back of her leg. We live in rural area and I don't know how knowledgeable area doctors are. It takes 6 months to get to any nearby dermatologist.

Comment from: FeHope, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My initial cellulitis symptoms were unusually bad pain and redness outside a wound. I fell on a run on a Sunday and got a few abrasions, one on the inside of my forearm. I washed my wounds with soap and water at the time, put on some antibiotic cream, and bandaged them. I didn't think much of it. The abrasion on the inside of my forearm was the worst of them- about 1/2 the size of a dollar bill. By Wed, the other wounds were healing and this one did not seem to be healing well. Then, on Friday, my arm began getting severely painful (clothes touching my arm hurt). The nearby tissue that was not injured turned red (wrapping around my forearm, maybe 20 square inches), and I saw it progressing down my arm during the workday. I was not feeling well, really tired. As soon as I got out of work (I own a business, there are no sick days), I went to urgent care as my doctor did not have an appointment for weeks. They diagnosed it as cellulitis. I've been on antibiotics (Bactrim) for 3 days now. Yesterday was rough as I felt really bad and had a slight fever, but today I feel better. Redness is subsiding a bit, although still extends about 2 inches past the wound and my arm is still really painful. Moving my fingers/thumb on that arm hurts. Doctors want to recheck me tomorrow. Hopefully the pain will be getting better soon. I thought I cleaned the abrasion pretty well, but, in the future, I am going to really scrub them, even if it hurts.