Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Please select the white circle:

What are cellulitis symptoms and signs?

Cellulitis usually begins as a small area of tenderness, swelling, and redness that spreads to adjacent skin. As this red area begins to enlarge, the affected person may develop a fever, sometimes with chills and sweats, tenderness, and swollen lymph nodes ("swollen glands") near the area of infected skin.

Return to Cellulitis

Comment from: sad mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I got a pedicure and she used a razor scraper and took off a chunk of skin. Within 24 hours my whole leg and foot was swollen, blotchy, red, burning, and hot to the touch. I spent 4 hours in the emergency room. They wanted to admit me for the cellulitis, but I didn"t want to stay so they let me go home on bed rest for 4 days. What was a lovely Mother"s Day gift with my daughter turned into a nightmare! Moral: Never let them use a razor-scraper on your feet, they are never cleaned, used from patient to patient.

Comment from: Tara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

First the cellulitis area (ankles and feet) gets really warm to the touch, then it starts itching, the area turns red. Try not to scratch the area, it only makes it worse. Within the next few hours my foot and ankle are swollen, the skin where it's swollen is tight and my foot feels like it's full of water. It's very painful. I can't put any pressure on the foot that's swollen. It sometimes also starts making red discolorations in my skin going up my calf and shin.