Norovirus Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?

Please select the black square:

What are norovirus infection symptoms and signs in adults, children, and babies?

Most people get sick within one day of ingesting norovirus (range 12-48 hours). Symptoms and signs include vomiting or watery diarrhea or both. Fever occurs in one-third to one-half of infected people. Cramping abdominal or stomach pain and a general feeling of tiredness, headache, and muscle aches are common.

People are usually thirsty, although they may have trouble keeping fluids down. In general, patients who can orally ingest about the same amount of fluid they lose through diarrhea, vomiting, or both do well. Symptoms in adults may be different than symptoms in children. Young children and babies may not complain of thirst but may appear listless or lethargic as they become dehydrated. Symptoms may be more severe in debilitated, elderly patients. People who are unable to replace their fluids and develop signs of dehydration need medical care.

Most people have a mild illness that lasts two to three days. In contrast to bacterial diarrheas, such as those caused by Shigella or Campylobacter bacteria, norovirus does not cause blood or pus in the stool. The length of infection may be prolonged in patients who are in the hospital or in young children.

Norovirus has been associated with severe inflammation of the colon in newborns and with disease flares in children who have inflammatory bowel disease, but it is not yet clear what role norovirus is playing in these conditions.

Return to Norovirus Infection

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

We were all fine Sunday and our daughter was out of town. At 2 am hubby woke up violently ill liquid diarrhea and vomiting for the next 24 hours, body aches, headache, cramps. Daughter came home at 10 am Monday, by Tuesday afternoon she had the same symptoms. I began eating cultured vegetables and took some vitamin D spray. For Last 24 hours I had many of the symptoms above and could not eat. Dry heaves cramps, headache body aches fever. Just starting to eat.

Comment from: Hoofrx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My daughter and I are both sick and became ill within a couple hours of one another. We believe we got the norovirus infection at a sushi restaurant where we had lunch 2 days ago. I had watery diarrhea within 12 hours of eating, along with bloating and decreased appetite. Mild nausea last night kept me from eating dinner, thank goodness, because I was up vomiting and gushing diarrhea all night and half of today. Daughter is super sick, too. Symptoms include bad headache, stomach cramps and pain, hot-cold--freezing-sweating and, horrible body aches, and fever. I"ve been sleeping with ear plugs when not running for the bathroom, the headache is so bad. I finally managed to keep water down so took Advil for my aching head and body... this helped tremendously! I also ate a few bites of banana, hope it stays down. I"m wiping everything in the bathroom with bleach every time I go in. Hope nobody else gets infected. Need to go... literally! Good luck with this horrible illness!