Liver Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with liver disease?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of liver disease?

Classic symptoms of liver disease include:

• nausea,
  • vomiting,
  • right upper quadrant abdominal pain, and
  • jaundice (a yellow discoloration of the skin due to elevated bilirubin concentrations in the bloodstream).

Fatigue, weakness and weight loss may also be occur.

However, since there are a variety of liver diseases, the symptoms tend to be specific for that illness until late-stage liver disease and liver failure occurs.

Examples of liver disease symptoms due to certain conditions or diseases include:

• A person with gallstones may experience right upper abdominal pain and vomiting after eating a greasy (fatty) meal. If the gallbladder becomes infected, fever may occur.
  • Gilbert's disease has no symptoms, and in an incidental finding on a blood test where the bilirubin level is mildly elevated.
  • Individuals with cirrhosis will develop progressive symptoms as the liver fails. Some symptoms are directly related to the inability of the liver to metabolize the body's waste products. Others reflect the failure of the liver to manufacture proteins required for body function and may affect blood clotting function, secondary sex characteristics and brain function. Symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver include:
    • easy bruising may occur due to decreased production of clotting factors;
    • bile salts can deposit in the skin causing itching;
    • gynecomastia or enlarged breasts in men may occur because of an imbalance in sex hormones; specifically an increase in estradiol;
    • impotence (erectile dysfunction, ED), poor sex drive and shrinking testicles are due to decrease in function of sex hormones;
    • confusion and lethargy may occur if ammonia levels rise in the blood stream (ammonia is a waste product formed from protein metabolism and requires normal liver cells to remove it), ascites (fluid accumulation within the abdominal cavity) occurs because of decreased protein production; and
    • muscle wasting may occur because of reduced protein production.

Additionally, there is increased pressure within the cirrhotic liver affecting blood flow through the liver. Increased pressure in the portal vein causes blood flow to the liver to slow down and blood vessels to swell. Swollen veins (varices) form around the stomach and esophagus and are at risk for bleeding.

Return to Liver Disease

Comment from: Alley, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 20

Liver treatment surgeons across the globe point out that in almost 50 percent of cases, liver diseases do not show any symptoms. However, the more prominent symptoms include those of jaundice or the eyes and skin turning yellowish due to accumulation of bilirubin in the white areas. In addition, dark urine, clay-colored stool, gastrointestinal tract bleeding and retention of fluids in the belly area are some notable symptoms of liver diseases.

Comment from: Isla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have constant upper right abdominal pain through to my back and under my right shoulder blade. My liver function tests show there are problems. I often have yellowing of the whites of my eyes, I rarely ever drink alcohol and when I do it"s half a glass of wine. However I just seem to be shunted from one consultant to another for a proper diagnosis but am not getting any help. I am constantly exhausted, I can easily sleep most of the weekend from Friday night to Monday morning just getting up for a few hours to wash and to eat. If I don"t do this I can"t cope with my full time job. I am depressed and so tired all the time.