Thrush - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thrush.

Please select the black triangle:

What is thrush?

Thrush (oropharyngeal candidiasis) is a medical condition in which a fungus called Candida overgrows in the mouth and throat. Candida is normally present in the mouth, the digestive tract, and skin of most healthy people. The immune system and the body's normal bacteria usually keep Candida in balance. When this balance is interrupted, it can result in an overgrowth of the Candida fungus, causing thrush, a yeast infection of the mouth or throat.

Return to Thrush (Oral Candidiasis)

Comment from: Fran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I was on several (5 to 6) courses of different antibiotics for pneumonia over 4 months. Then I was misdiagnosed with bronchitis and given a steroid inhaler. I have used nystatin (the thrush cleared up but then came back) and am now using fluconazole. Although KOH (potassium hydroxide) is negative, candida antibody test is positive.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

The doctor told me today that I have thrush. It started as white spots on my tongue but only on the right. They got worse with sores on the inside of my lips and cheek. Still only on the right. This morning I woke up with bad pain in my right temple. It felt like a hot poker going in my temple and the sores going to the outside of my mouth and a red patchy rash on my face still all on the right side. The worse part about this whole thing is the pain. The doctor gave me nystatin.