Thrush - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thrush.

What is thrush?

Thrush (oropharyngeal candidiasis) is a medical condition in which a fungus called Candida overgrows in the mouth and throat. Candida is normally present in the mouth, the digestive tract, and skin of most healthy people. The immune system and the body's normal bacteria usually keep Candida in balance. When this balance is interrupted, it can result in an overgrowth of the Candida fungus, causing thrush, a yeast infection of the mouth or throat.

Return to Thrush (Oral Candidiasis)

Comment from: NorthshoreSarcasm9, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was put on a high dose of antibiotics before gallbladder removal surgery. Surgery was Monday, 4/6/15, went smoothly and I was home resting in bed Monday afternoon. On Tuesday, I noticed my throat and back of my tongue were sore, felt dry and feeling a little inflamed (like I drank something too hot and got a minor burn). Wednesday the pain was still there but eating rough foods seemed to cause more pain. I chalked this up to soreness from having a tube down my throat during surgery. By Thursday evening I was convinced I had picked up a bad strain of strep throat. My throat was burning and the pain was getting worse, not lessening as it should be, 3 days post-surgery. My sister looked at my throat and saw what looked like white polka dots in my throat and my tongue was white. I called the doctor first thing Friday morning and was diagnosed with thrush by 9:30 am Friday. I was put on nystatin. I've had strep throat many (10 plus) times and I can tell you I would choose strep over thrush any day. I would rather recover from another surgery than deal with thrush again. The pain medications I was given for my surgery recovery don't even touch the pain from thrush. My mouth and throat constantly feel newly burned and raw (feels like I took a giant bite of scalding soup). The nystatin gives me about 10 minutes of relief through numbness, then wears off. Unlike strep, thrush hurts constantly, not just when you swallow. Thieves essential oil that usually numb a sore throat and give me at least 30 minutes of relief do nothing for thrush. My breathing is strained. I can be sitting in bed resting and then all the sudden sound like I'm smothering and have to struggle to suck in a big breath. Cold things don't help. The only relief I've found is through Sucrets throat drops. They taste gross but everything is numb so I don't care.

Comment from: breo216, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I developed a sudden onset of fever after experiencing sore scratchy throat with constant cough and difficulty swallowing. I had sores in my mouth and lips that eventually went into my throat. The thrush was caused by Breo inhaler, I am on 2nd round of antibiotics and 14 days of lozenges five times a day. My cough is starting to return and I notice a small bleeding on Kleenex when coughing. It makes you not want to eat or watch what you eat due to the ulcers in my throat.