Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

What are symptoms of a Schatzki Ring?

The majority of these rings cause no symptoms, and patients are unaware of their presence. When the opening of the esophagus becomes smaller as the diameter of these rings shrink, solid, poorly chewed food (such as steak, turkey, frankfurter) that stays in chunks can get caught at the level of the ring. This occurs when the diameter of the ring reaches approximately 1 cm. The patient then experiences chest pain, or sticking sensation in the chest with swallowing (referred to as dysphagia). If the chunk of food passes into the stomach, these symptoms subside quickly and the patient can resume eating. If the food does not pass into the stomach, some patients have to induce regurgitation of the food by sticking their finger in the back of their throat before they can resume eating.

Rarely, the food becomes impacted (the food cannot pass nor can it be regurgitated). These patients experience continued chest pain and difficulty swallowing saliva and secretions. A flexible endoscope has to be inserted through the mouth into the esophagus to extract the impacted food to relieve the obstruction.

Return to Schatzki's Ring

Comment from: chokingwater, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a heart attack. I had problems getting better. GERD was a problem for me and so was choking. An EDG and barium swallow showed that I had a Schatzki's ring. I am choking more and more in my throat so my upper sphincter is going to be stretched. I looked for a little information about this procedure and found this site. I notice that most people talk about their lower chest. Only a few people talk about their throat.

Comment from: Utah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

About 18 months ago I had my first episode where my throat tightened up and I felt like I was choking. I had a few of these experiences in the next year, increasing in regularity with time. In the last three months I feel almost on a daily basis that food is getting stuck halfway down, and I need to drink a lot to get it to move on. Today I had an EGD. The results showed that I have a Schatzki"s ring. They dilated my esophagus. When I came out of the anesthesia the first thing that I noticed is that my throat didn"t hurt or feel tight like it has for months. Yay! My doctor said it'll grow back. I hope not for a while.

Stay Informed!