GERD in Infants and Children - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your infant's or child's GERD?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of GER and GERD in infants and children?

Infants with GER generally have no symptoms other than the obvious reflux of fluid out the mouth. As noted previously, they do not appear to have any discomfort associated with their reflux.

Infants and children with GERD may have multiple symptoms including:

• frequent fussiness during feeding or thereafter,
  • frequent or recurrent cough,
  • recurrent rejection of the breast or bottle which may lead to poor weight gain,
  • wheezing,
  • recurrent pneumonia, and
  • descriptions of "heartburn," "chest pain" or upper midline abdominal pain.
Return to GERD and GER (Acid Reflux) in Infants and Children

Comment from: dixidegirl2, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My 5 week old baby also has the acid reflux. I have tried gripe water, putting cereal in the bottles, changing the formula several times and nothing seems to work. The doctor put her on prevacid and it doesn't seem to work either. I feed her in small amounts (2oz) at a time and she still suffers with vomiting, hiccups, choking. The choking is the scariest part. Next is the GI testing. I too am hoping they have an answer.

Comment from: Zoey2012, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

I go to a chiropractor and when my baby had GERD my chiropractor did an adjustment on him, once a week for 4 weeks and my baby is fine. It got better with each adjustment. I know it sounds crazy but, it worked.